FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro HD/SD Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Shedlock
Final Cut Pro HD/SD Workflow
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:38:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of creating a standardized workflow for the studio I work for. This is the first studio I have worked for that didn't have all of this in place before I arrived and I am having trouble getting myself and the 2 other editors to use a consistent workflow.

Our scope of projects stay within 2 areas:

Automotive work which is always output to SD Beta SP and/or Digibeta and is edited in SD usually with HD green screen source footage shot with the Sony EX1.

Everything else! All edited in HD and usually output via SD DVD and SD Beta Sp and/or Digibeta. Some projects are for the web and are output to h.264 HD Quicktime files. Clients prefer the look of 1080/24P or 720P60

Here are my issues:
I keep running into frame rate and interlace issues. Constantly! This is due in part to a shooter not being very consistent with his work, which is a problem I have already addressed, and the editors being somewhat lazy in setting up their projects in the beginning. Of course it is up to me to fix everything once problems arise.

Goal:
Is to come up with 2 Easy Setups that I can install on all of the edit suites to ensure all of the work is consistent. 1 for the Automotive work, 1 for Everything else.

Cameras we use:
Sony EX1 - Used for All Automotive
Panasonic HVX200a, HVX200, HPX200 w/Red Rock M2

I generally try very hard not to mix the footage from the two brands of cameras as it generally causes all kinds of problems, but sometimes it is unavoidable on multicam shoots.

My real question is:
What workflow should be used for the Automotive Green Screen Footage for final output to SD Beta SP and/or Digibeta using the Sony EX1 camera to completely eliminate these interlace and frame rate issues? I want to shoot in HD because of the ease of pulling the green screen key.

What cam codec setting? What Frame Rate? Knowing that I will be editing in SD and outputting to one of the Beta SP/Digibeta formats.
What SD codec in FCP? What field dominance? What Frame Rate? What Frame Size? IS it acceptable to use ProRes 422 HQ?

What workflow should be used for the rest of my HD work? If the cams are consistently set to 1080/24P or 720P60. Sony Ex1 setting: 1080/24P HQ or 720P60 HQ (XDCAM EX 24P or XCCAM EX 720P60). Pannie Settings: 1080/24P or 720P60 (DVCPROHD)

What HD codec in FCP for edit? What frame rate? What Field Dominance? Frame Size? Does any of this need to change if I have to use footage from both cameras?

I prefer editing in ProRes 422 HQ to keep everything consistent for the future in case we buy different cameras with different codecs, etc. But am up for any other suggestions that will help eliminate all of the interlace/frame rate issues. What I would prefer not to do is edit in either of the native Sony and Pannie codecs.

Hardware:
FCP 6.0.6
2008 Mac Pro
16 GB Ram
2x Striped 4 Drive Esata ProMax Raid 2TB each
AJA I/O
Horita BSG50
Sony UVW1800

Any information is very much appreciated. I hope all of this makes sense! Please respond if I missed anything or if you need any more information to help get me on the right track. Thank you so much!

Aaron Shedlock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]