FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing cmx3400 edl

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Johnston
importing cmx3400 edl
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:15:20 pm

I wonder if anyone could pass comment on this for me. I have a short programme on my Discreet Edit system that I want to re-cut on FCP 7.0.1.

I captured 2 x DVCam reels in FCP using the same Reel Numbers as used for the Edit cut.

Then I imported a cmx3400 edl to FCP. This opened as a "Media Offline" timeline.

But I can't seem to connect the clips which display the correct reel numbers and timecode, to the captured media (which has the same reel numbers and contains the timecode relevant to the clips on the timeline).

I'm thinking I can't do this... am I right?

I should probably have recaptured the timeline, but because I want to re-edit rather than re-create the previous timeline, I need all the footage, not just some of it.

Dave

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: importing cmx3400 edl
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:26:07 pm

FCP will not reconnect to existing media using this EDL. With the EDL your only option is to recapture. Well, not entirely true, you can use an application called FCPReconnect:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=41

But that will link the current cut to the EXISTING media, that would already be captured by FCP. You want to bring in ALL the media and do a recut? Was the media captured by FCP? Or by the Discreet? FCP most likely won't work with the Discreet media.

If you only have two tapes, just recapture those in FCP and then edit.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Johnston
on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:43:31 pm

Thanks for the steer.

I have already captured the material in FCP at ProRes422, using the same reel numbers as used in the Discreet system. So the edl exported from Discreet references the same reel numbers and tc as the ProRes422 material - I just can't seem to link the clips in the edl to the ProRes422.

It sounds like FcpReconnect might be able to do this, and I see that there is a demo version to try it out.

If I can reconnect the edl clips to the ProRes422 I can use the original edit as the basis for further editing - hence wanting to recapture all of the original camera tapes...

I'll give the FcpReconnect demo a go.

Dave

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:41:54 am

Discreet edit* a windows NT4 only system uses proprietary AVI files on a Targa 2000 card through v6. them v6.5 used a Targa 3000 (yes? It's been a while). So no, FCP won't work with the media, (though you could read the media on some faked out systems). Anyway, FCP will read the cmx edls without a problem, but you won't get any of that fancy stuff like multilayer video, or audio beyond 4 tracks. Actually for this kind of work I preferred GVG edls, there were fewer restrictions.
You'd have been better off importing the EDL first and then using it to batch capture your footage. orks slick.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:52:45 pm

Dave

Yay! Someone still using edit*! Welcome! Used edit* for years! quite a few es edit*ors here as well.

I have been exactly where you are, having to re-visit projects I finished on edit in the past, and all i have is an EDL and tapes. I figured a way to get the edit bin info over to FCP as a batch file, but this only gave me the material as footage with no timeline.

FCP links to existing media via Clip Name. when you Import an EDL, FCP turns the reel numbers Into the clip names. sooo unless you import the edl FCP alone cant re-connect the media.

However, this totally brilliant guy at Videotool shed wrote some Mad Code that will allow you to reconnect the edl to EXISTING media, thereby allowing you to do a batch capture from a real log, preserving all your log info.

its been a little while, but if you want i can try and remember how to capture from a edit bin into fcp.

hope this helps

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnston
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:31:32 pm

Bob -

I'm still faffing about with this! FcpReconnect didn't resolve my immediate problem, so now I'm recapturing from the master clips bin generated from a Grass Valley 7 edl (which seems to retain as much clip info as any). As far as I can see it's recapturing the entire source tapes rather than individual clips, and I'm not sure why - but that's what I want it to do anyway...

I have a lot of stuff in Edit and would be delighted to hear your Edit Bin to FCP solution, because it's getting to the moment when I have to say bye bye to my favourite NLE. I still think Edit is brilliant and have never felt so betrayed as when it was dropped by Discreet.

So yes, please, try to remember.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:43:27 am

Dave

in edit, make a bin of all the shots you want to bring over to fcp. you do not need the media online to do this.

sort the bin by reel number. drag all the clips to a new timline. now make a "source report" of that timeline, which is under
the "reports" menu. this will generate a tab delimited text file, and place it in the current job directory on the C: drive. i think the file is called SRC_RPT.txt this will have the ins and outs of the footage in TC, and the "description" field, I think it also has reel numbers, or at least edit clip names.

I then bring my src_rpt into microsoft excel, making sure to start import at the header row, which i think is row 11. as you import you can check to see if any of the descriptions are being cut off. I then change the various header names to match the bin headers of FCP.
the most important of these is the "clip name" which is the first column. I usually use the edit source file name, which could be AUTO Master102, or Source12. depending on if you logged scene and take in edit, you can transpose this as well.

now the only info that does not come over is the reel number, butr if you make an edl of the same edit timeline, and print it out, you should be able to figure out the reel number and do a multple entry for each tape.

any questions so far?

once you havre the excel file ready, make a tab delimited txt file, and import as a batch list.

good luck!

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
Re: corrections for edit to FCP
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:58:28 pm

Dave

mis labeled a couple of things. here are the correct terms

Once you have dragged your clips to a bin, go under File>Reports>Timeline

THEN look in your Job folder on your C: drive for RPT_LST.txt. this is the file you want to import into excel

sorry about any confusions

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnston
Re: corrections for edit to FCP
on Apr 2, 2010 at 10:17:30 pm

Bob -

I'm out of office for a while but I've got all this and will give it a go when I get back.

I really appreciate your help - it's a lonely place, Discreet Edit Island...

dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]