FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerk Cam in FC7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Stephens
Jerk Cam in FC7
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:40:22 pm

Jerk Cam-formerly known as Smooth Cam exports a jerky image, sometimes worse than the original. Does Apple have anything to say about this? Maybe a solution or update, at least an admission of guilt? I'm working with HDV footage from an archived project converted from FC6. I have tried removing the mtdf files. I have also tried a new project with copies of the footage. Playback looks great on the timeline but when it is exported to a quicktime it becomes erratic and jerky.

I looked up previous discusion about this and have tried the work around by applying smooth cam and exporting to a 442HQ. It was working for a while then stopped working and sometimes got corrupted exports files. Then I tried converting the HDV to 442 HQ import to time line apply smooth cam
and got it to work so far. There is nothing smooth about this work around and I find it a frustrating process. I don't have $150 to get Lock and Load.

One lesson I've learned is to smooth the footage and export it before putting in a project.
So is there a solution?

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Jerk Cam in FC7
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:26:52 pm

I have used Smoothcam and Lock and Load with excellent results. I am using DVCPro HD footage.

HDV is a different story. Your solution is to get out of HDV as soon as possible. Convert your HDV to ProRes during capture. No need for you to use ProRes HQ.

It could also be possible that your footage is too shaky for Smoothcam to completely smooth it out.

I'll assume you don't have After Effects or Shake.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:52:06 pm

I do have After Effects but I don't use it much.
When I used smooth cam on this same HDV footage in FC6 it all work very nicely. some of it is helicopter aerials.
I'm pretty much locked into capturing thru firewire HDV with the z1. I would have to up convert in compressor after capture. It seems to work if I convert to 442 HQ, so I'll try it with some of the other codecs like DVCPro HD. At least it works with some of the codecs.

Thanks

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:49:32 pm

You can capture through firewire directly to ProRes. I would highly recommend this when shooting HDV.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/capture_hdv_prores_fw_balis.html

Brian

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:31:57 pm

I'll give this a try. back in FC5 Apple told it wasn't possible.
So, this is the first news I've heard of this update.

Thanks

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]