FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Close Gap" Shortcut - FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terren LIn
"Close Gap" Shortcut - FCP 7
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:57:52 pm

Using the "close gap" shortcut, ( control-G ), I'm supposed to be able to close a gap anywhere on the timeline as long as my playhead is on the gap. This was the case w/ FCP 6 & now that I've upgraded to FCP 7, anytime I try to "close gap," it automatically closes the first gap in the timeline & not where my playhead is lined up. Am i missing something?

Terren Lin
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: "Close Gap" Shortcut - FCP 7
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:00:18 am

If you highlight the gap first it should work.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Terren LIn
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:03:31 am

Tried that as well... no go. Even trashed my FCP pref as well. So strange, I think I'm the only one affected by this.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:13:18 am

Another idea is to select all clips downstream of the gap and then make sure "snapping" is turned on an drag the clips over to close the gap. I know that is more steps but it should work. Also, are there any other clips on other tracks that overlap your gap? That can keep it from closing the gap too. Good luck!

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:24:20 am

Right click or control click with the cursor IN the offending gap and you will get the close gap prompt that will close the gap in question...not the one where the playhead is. Have you tried this?

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
"Voices of Freedom", Special Jury winner for Fall 2008 CINE Awards produced for the High Museum of Art in Atlanta as part of a major exhibition of vintage Civil Rights Movement photographs, "Road To Freedom". Currently on display at The Field Musuem in Chicago followed by The Skirball Cultural Center in LA in the fall and The Bronx Museum, spring 2010.

Return to posts index

Terren LIn
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:19:47 am

Neal,

tried what you said... & it worked exactly 3 times, then went back to it's previous behavior. It's just an annoyance as i'm a heavy "control-G" user. Has there been changes in the shortcut since FCP 6? Anyway... thanks & please post if anything else comes to mind. Greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Terren LIn
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:21:11 am

Update:

It seems to work correctly exactly 3 times every time I restart FCP.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:08:00 pm

After it stops working, look in your "keyboard layouts" to confirm that it is still an active shortcut. If not re-create it. You can also use Opt+G to move a highlighted selection backwards to close a gap or Shift+G to move a highlighted selection forward to close a gap.

I have not had any trouble using it with FCP7.

A bad habit is to regularly highlight entire sections of regions and drag them around with the mouse. If you ever work in another editing system such as Avid, you will end up destroying your timeline. Not to mention it wastes a lot of time.

Kris Merkel
Quad G5
OS X 10.4.11
FCStudio
CalDigit Raid

Return to posts index

Steve A
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:27:44 pm

We are having the same problem. We've been on 7.02 for a while and it has worked fine for a long time, but now it's trying to close the first gap in the sequence, not the one where the playbar is. You shouldn't need to highlight the gap -- never did before.

Could this be related to recent ProAps update?

Return to posts index

Johnathan Safford
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:19:56 pm

I too am now having this problem, which exactly coincided with my ProApps and Snow Leopard update that I did yesterday. Any fixes would be greatly appreciated! It's driving me NUTS!

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Mar 31, 2010 at 9:04:57 am

Seems to be a 7.0.2 issue

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Mar 31, 2010 at 11:11:19 am

I have both 7.01 and a 7.02 machines, and on all, Ctrl-G just closes that one gap consistently. Oh well:)

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Andrea Stewart
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:56:39 pm

Same problem here. Came after the proapps update. Will work for a couple times after I trash preferences but then after a little while its right back to its old tricks. I think its a bug.

Andrea Stewart
Producer/Editor/Director - Owner
Germane Creative LLC

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:50:07 pm

Same issue here. Right after ProApps update.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

Terren LIn
on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:35:16 pm

Apple's pro apps engineers are aware of the problem. Crossing my fingers that it's fixed in the next update.

T E R R E N L I N
terren.lin@gmail.com

Reel:
IMDB credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2130239/
Recommendations: http://www.linkedin.com/in/terren

Return to posts index

Frank Dima
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:45:25 pm

I've been having this same exact problem ever since the 7.02 update. It appears to happen when there are video clips with multitrack audio prior to video clips with singe track audio. If closing gaps beyond the multi-track audio, only the first gap will close and it does not matter where the playhead is nor which gap the mouse's pointer is on. I hope this is fixed in an upcoming update, because it renders the "close gap" function totally useless 90% of the time - especially when putting together initial rough cuts.THe only "fix" is to delete any multi track audio prior to a series of gaps - and that really is no fix at all.

Return to posts index

Garrett Gibbons
on Apr 12, 2010 at 10:25:22 pm

I've had the exact same problem since the 7.02 update. Totally useless, now.

Thank you for the specific information, Frank! It's good to know what's behind it. Now PLEASE Apple, get us an update soon!

http://www.garrettgibbons.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 13, 2010 at 4:26:10 am

How is this close gap function different than a ripple delete? Close gap just seems very iMovie like. Why not highlight the gap and ripple delete? Obviously it a bug in any case. So find a workaround in the meantime.

Return to posts index

Jaap Verdenius
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:08:37 am

Same problem here - started after the 7.0.2 update, for certain never saw it happen in 7.0.1.

Return to posts index

JB Letchinger
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:00:13 pm

Ripple delete adds one step at least and doesn't work with the control button and a drop down - you shouldn't have to highlight a space..
also I've found close gap works properly now only if the clip before the gap is on a higher video track than the clip after!! WEIRD.

JB

JBL Films, Inc.

please vist

http://www.jblfilms.com

http://www.jblfilmsinc.com

Return to posts index

Joel Godin
on Jul 18, 2010 at 4:50:35 pm

I found the same thing as Frank. In other words "I second this lack of motion".

Return to posts index

Tony Young
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:17:50 pm

Exact same issue here--still running OS 10.5.8, FCP 7.02, most recent ProApps update. Glad to hear it's not just me.

Return to posts index

Julia Wells
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:44:13 pm

Thanks for this thread- even if it's a bug it's nice to know i'm not alone. I'm a heavy close gapper as well and it's driving me nuts!

Return to posts index

Regg Skwarko
on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:42:32 am

Hi there,
I'm having the same problem.

Until Apple comes up with a fix in their updates, in the meantime, rather than Control G-ing it, or shifting the timeline to the right of the gap etc, try highlighting the gap and hitting the delete key.
Its no "right click => close gap" but its something.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ted Griffis
on Aug 12, 2010 at 7:17:48 pm

Same issue as others, though this does not effect every project oddly. Beyond annoying! If you are a keyboard editor touching the mouse is not an option as it slows you down tremendously.

A work around I've been using is the "Mark Clip" Function "X". you can mark the gap and then hit delete, this is the fastest workaround I've found to date.

cheers,
Ted

Ted Griffis
GriffisART
http://www.griffisart.com

Return to posts index

Jaap Verdenius
Re:
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:18:20 pm

You can also click on any track inside the gap and then hit backspace - fastest workaround for me.
Still looking forward to the fix though...

Return to posts index

Garrett Gibbons
Re: Re:
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:25:47 pm

I agree with Ted, though: taking fingers away from the keyboard to position the mouse over the gap... way too time-consuming. Seriously. I like the x-delete combo, personally.

http://www.garrettgibbons.com

Return to posts index

Don Swaynos
Re: Re:
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:32:22 am

I just upgraded and just ran into this. It's very annoying, but nice to know I'm not the only one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]