FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Project Management for Features

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rundell
Best Project Management for Features
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:23:49 pm

Been editing for a long time. First feature though. Any best way to organize project files? I heard that it is a good idea to have separate project files for media and sequences. Then maybe have new files for each week of shooting-- or is that over kill. Any ideas that has worked for anyone? Single camera shoot, 6 weeks. RED.

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Best Project Management for Features
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:48:00 pm

I don\\\'t see any point in having more then one project. Bins don\\\'t add too much to the file size. Lots of sequences will though. Get used to versioning your master project a lot and purging old sequences.

In my experience, the assistant editor might have individual projects for each dailies batch, but the editor would never see those. If things do get unweildy, you could make projects for each reel, once you reach that stage of cutting.
I do, however, like to have a separate project for SFX libraries.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:57:40 pm

I have a tutorial DVD that covers organization in depth...narrative and doc...feature and short form (shameless self promotion). Just click on my head up top and you will see it.

yes, you can use multiple sequences, it does help in a lot of ways, but know that you cannot MATCH BACK to the footage in the bin if you keep the sequences in one project and the footage in another. Thus far that is the only drawback I have seen. You can also just use ONE project, but duplicate it whenever you make changes, instead of duplicating sequences. That will keep the file size down.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Rundell
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:08:21 pm

Didn't know FCP had a find bin. You can match back to the footage for sure, even if the footage clip is not in the project, it finds it form within the finder, and loads in viewer. But find bin? Thought that was only Avid. What's find bin in FCP?

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:57:12 am

Matt,

If you buy Shane's DVD you'll understand what he's talking about. :)

Large projects use the basic Apple file/folder structure for organizing... and NOT FCP bins. So, when you
use, "reveal in finder" it will reveal the "bin" in which it lives at the finder level. If you've done it right, this "folder" will be the exact same bin in your FCP project. See it in the finder, navigate to it within your FCP project. Hint: It probably will NOT be the same project that your sequences live in, but a different "media only" project. FCP can have MULTIPLE projects open simultaneously. Use that to your advantage.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]