FORUMS: list search recent posts

WAV files from protools lose sync with captured BetacamSR Master in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason morton
WAV files from protools lose sync with captured BetacamSR Master in FCP
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:34:34 pm

I'm loosing sync after a few minutes with my Captured Master BetacamSR with the final mixed audio from Protools which has been given to me as a WAV file. The project was originally cut on FCP 7.01, the project settings and rushes capture were PRORESHQ 1080p 1920X1080 25fps Then played out to Betacam SR via my Kona ioHD no problems there. Audio was exported for Protool dub as OMFI series2 at 48khz. The picture was graded in a Baselight suite then a playout to BetacamSR again. Then that tape was captured into Avid DS for captioning and some compositing. Then disaster struck and some editorial changes were made, not ideal. So the Captioned edit master and the mixed sound was taken away to have the changes made in FCP. However when we captured the master and laid back the exported audio the sync would drift after a few minutes and get worse and worse as the film progressed. So we tried the capturing the master and laying back the audio in a Avid DS and all was well, puzzled.
The SPG to both the DS and FCP were identical, so I'm thinking this may be a word clock or reference issue in Protools or some kind of Avid/FCP problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Gissing
Re: WAV files from protools lose sync with captured BetacamSR Master in FCP
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:57:49 pm

For a while now this forum has seen many posts about sync drift with wav files. FCP has tried to be clever and stamp a frame rate on wav files. So often this is wrong but often it is operator error when first importing the file and having frame/timecode settings different to the final capture sequence.

In your case @ 25fps this is unlikely. I have advised people to avoid wav files until FCP stops being smart and getting things wrong. Try converting the wav into an aif file on an totally different machine and then import that into the sequence and sync up. I do this all the time and have never had sync drift issues although they are such a common item for posts in this forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]