FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lumix AVCHD Lite / QuickTime Motion jpeg. Which codec?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Olsson
Lumix AVCHD Lite / QuickTime Motion jpeg. Which codec?
on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:13:56 am

Hi,

I've recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 and I'm quite amazed by this 'still' camera's ability to shoot high quality movies with very good stereo sound (when there's no wind!)

My problem is which of the two possible recording formats should I use to be able to integrate footage (in FCP) most successfully from this camera with stuff shot in HDV format.

Which is the best codec? AVCHD or the QuickTime Motion jpeg option? What do you think?

Best wishes,

Erik

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Lumix AVCHD Lite / QuickTime Motion jpeg. Which codec?
on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:50:18 am

Hi Erik,
MJPEG used to be the "state of the art" codec, but now is considered a legacy codec.
AVCHD is a last generation codec much more efficient.
Working with the MJPEG will be easier, but you will get better picture with the AVCHD.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:45:01 am

I think you should run some tests and see which works best for you under what circumstances. Shoot some charts, shoot some complex scenes, shoot some fast motion, shoot something bright, shoot something dark.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Marc Creativeco
on Apr 24, 2011 at 5:13:21 pm

I've just purchased my second Lumix. A major motivating factor in purchasing my first one a few years ago was that the video recording was not in proprietary QuickTime format. It turns out that in the new model, Panasonic has for mysterious reasons decided to opt for above-mentioned patent-impaired format, which is not playable in Windows Live PhotoGallery, which really sucks.

However...

You post seems to imply that there is some way to switch the recording format back to AVCHD. I looked around all the menu options for video, but could not see how to do this. Please help??

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]