FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Mo trouble in FCP with HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Jacob
Slow Mo trouble in FCP with HD
on Mar 28, 2010 at 4:12:06 pm

Ok, So I know I'm not an expert, but I am having tremendous trouble getting slow motion video in Final Cut with HD footage. I've tried a bunch of different options, and none seem to give smooth HD slow motion. I primarily am shooting with a Panasonic HDX-900 and also an HVX-200. Anyone have solutions that have actually worked? I thought I knew what I was doing, but this has me confused and stumped...

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Slow Mo trouble in FCP with HD
on Mar 28, 2010 at 5:41:09 pm

You could try changing motion effect sequence settings to best instead of normal.
Or, sent that shoe to Motion and adjust speed there. In Motion you can change the method to 'Optical Flow' to get super smooth slow motion.

By the way, what is the speed you need? Or percentage you need to slow to?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Jerry Jacob
on Mar 29, 2010 at 6:12:24 pm

I've tried importing into Motion, retiming and using Optical Flow... It looks a little better, but not nearly good enough... still a somewhat strobed effect. I also tried changing to "Best" as you suggested... no difference... Am I going to have to purchase a plug-in to get something as simple and basic as smooth, slow motion video in High Def?!? this seems incredible to me.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 29, 2010 at 6:47:05 pm

[Jerry Jacob] "this seems incredible to me."

Why? You are creating frames out of thin air basically. FCP has always been awful at slowing down footage, SD included. Motion and AE do much better jobs, but beyond that you would need to purchase twixtor or something similar.

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

or shoot at a higher frame rate.

Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]