FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio file I can't open

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Watt
audio file I can't open
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:31:34 am

Received an audio file from a producer for some spots we're doing, but I can't open it in any program i have and when I asked him about the file he claims all he does is right click on it in Windows 7 and then he opens it with Windows Media Player.

I have a mac running Windows 7 in Bootcamp and it wouldn't open it and I have another new PC with windows 7 and it wouldn't open it either. In Windows, I can see it has a .dat extension, which i thought was mostly used by programmers.

Anyone have an idea of how to make this work. Producer says he emailed the music to our client and he too could open it.

I'm missing something obvious here, but don't have a clue.

thx...jw
MacPro, newest leopard...everything up to date
10GB ram, Kona 3 card,
Apple Raid

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: audio file I can't open
on Mar 27, 2010 at 2:59:06 am

Try downloading VLC. It's a free media player that opens a lot of different files. From there you should be able to export it to an aif.

I suspect it is a windows media format, but VLC should handle it anyway. An alternative is Audacity which is a free open source audio editor that can also open a lot of different files and save as a wav file.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: audio file I can't open
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:02:44 am

If it was me, I'd call the producer and say: "the file you sent us is incompatible with our software. Please send me a .wav or .aiff file. We cannot work with any other audio, as it will be of too poor quality for your high standards."

When they say, "But it plays fine for me", I repeat my request.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]