FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jm knowles
Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:13:54 am

I was running Final Cut Pro 6 after upgrading Snow Leopard and I noticed a few weird things (especially when exporting.) I have read some of the posts here talking about how important clean install of the OS is. I use my computer for so many things and have such a variety of apps that a clean install is a really huge project.

So ...
Can I install a new drive with Snow Leopard and just install Final Cut Studio 2 on that and boot to that drive on startup? I am on a Mac 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core with 8 GB DDR.

I do video editing only a couple of times a year and last time I did I got burned by getting surprised by bugginess so I want to avoid it on this project.

Is Final Cut Studio 2 ok with Snow Leopard under these circumstances (I guess if I am going the 2nd bootable drive option I could install Tiger on that drive.) At some point I am going to have to make the leap to Studio 3 full retail. For now I am still using for academic purposes and don't wish to upgrade if avoidable but if that is my best option I will do it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Return to posts index

jm knowles
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 and Snow Leopard
on Mar 27, 2010 at 5:20:49 pm

Ok I think I have pretty much decided (after further research) that I am going to go the dual boot route - my remaining question is this:
Final Cut Studio 2 - should I be using Tiger or Snow Leopard?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Mar 27, 2010 at 5:21:04 pm

Yes you can have as many startup disks as you'd like. Often, apps installed on the drive you have now will run on the new startup disk from that original drive too. Studio 2 was written on Tiger alright, but it seems to run just fine all the way up to Leopard in my experience. I've not tried it on Snow Leopard, maybe search here for problems if there are any, but if done as a clean install, you'll likely be just fine.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

jm knowles
on Mar 27, 2010 at 10:44:40 pm

Jerry thanks so much for replying. I highly value your advice (your book on FCP 4 is still in my library and was the first book i read on the subject). I am going to go with Tiger. Nice to know some of my apps will still run from the new boot disc too.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:24:42 pm

I have FCP Studio 2 running on a clean install of Snow Leaopard with no problems. Running a dual quad core Zeon Mac Pro in a professional studio, every day all day and so far, works like a charm.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

jm knowles
on Apr 4, 2010 at 9:30:31 pm

Thanks Richard ... that is great to know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]