FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major Quicktime Issue! Help!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Askew
Major Quicktime Issue! Help!
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:17:31 pm

Recently I've noticed a relatively high number of corrupted video files on our database, but as some of these files are old and have come from different sources i assumed that they had always been like that.

I was just watching a file off of the drobo (raid) and then I imported the file into premiere for mac (don't ask, not my decision) and it said it was offline almost straight away. i went back to open the original file and all of a sudden it's corrupted. i didn't change any settings or save the file in anyway, so i'm absolutely baffled. it still opens in VLC but not in quicktime, and MPEG streamclip claims it can't find the audio or video tracks. I'm assuming whatever happened here is the same as what's happened to all our other corrupted files.

the file is a PAL DV quicktime opened with quicktime 7.6.4

any help would be massively appreciated,

thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Major Quicktime Issue! Help!
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:27:44 pm

Corruption is something that normally happens to individual files and if VLC and is able to read the clips, this smells even less to corrupted files.
I would start with a bit of maintenance: Repairing Permissions and rebuilding directories (DiskWarrior).
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:35:04 pm

thanks for replying so quickly

is there a free way of doing this? it looks like disk warrior does whole drives, i just want to recover one file for now, messing with the whole drive directory seems a bit scary with 12TB

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19:32 pm

Disk Warrior is a must have application, it is $99 or something like that. But Disk Warrior works on the structure of the drive and not the files, but it is the first line of recovery. If the disc directory goes wacky it can lead to other problems but it doesn't recover files. There is Data Rescue app for that. No free lunch free but these are all relatedly cheap programs and they all do a certain amount of maintenance to help prevent file corruption.

Have you tried to copy the files to another drive and see if they work?

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:22:32 pm

The directory is what tells the OS where everything is located, so having that "right" is very important. If you decide to use Disk Warrior, run it first, then Repair Permissions. DW will allow you to cancel before it writes the new directory to the drive. I use DW at least once a month as maintenance on all my active drives.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]