FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compress MiniDV while importing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Krekeler
Compress MiniDV while importing
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:49:58 pm

Hi all,
I have been working with Final Cut & MiniDV cams since decades now and suddenly I got to a point where I'm really frustrated and I hope you guys can help me out ;).
I got 4 full tapes and I want to transfer them but I havent got enough free space (30 gig).
There must be a way of converting them straight to h.264 or something like that.
I know it was not too possible 2 or 3 years ago because the computer were to slow.
But now I think a Dual Core iMac should do it. Any Clues?

Thanks in advance,
Franz

ps:
you can take a look at one of my early videos if you want too

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Compress MiniDV while importing
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:57:33 pm

no, you still need a hardware based capture solution to encode to h.264

just go out and buy a fw 800 external drive.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:10:35 pm

Hard drives are SO SO SO cheep these days. Plus h.264 is NOT a editing coded, so if you wanted to edit the video, and I'm betting you are because this is a FCP forum, so you would need to convert those h.264 files to a proper editing codec to edit them.

Like I said hard drives are CHEEP, get another.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Franz Krekeler
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:31:52 pm

Thanks for the replies but I really think .dv is an ugly format its old and chubby.
And I rather work with any smaller format than with 3 gig file. Is there really no possibility?

Peace

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:46:00 pm

[Franz Krekeler] "I really think .dv is an ugly format"

Vary true thats why so many people are using pro res.

[Franz Krekeler] "And I rather work with any smaller format than with 3 gig file"

You do not seem to understand that h.264 is NOT a editing codec. You will have lots of problems editing it because of its compressed nature.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:25:35 pm

[Franz Krekeler] "Thanks for the replies but I really think .dv is an ugly format its old and chubby."

And you are still continuing to shoot it... okaaaay. When you capture your DV footage as DV/NTSC (NOT .dv...that is DV stream that iMovie uses and NOT a format that works with FCP), the capture is lossless. NO compression is happening. So what you see is what you shot. If you think it looks like butt, then you should stop shooting that format.

Just get another drive. As stated, they are ├╝ber cheap.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Franz Krekeler
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:39:33 pm

Okay I get it. I'll just use another HD and that's it. I'll let you know when the movie is finished. It's about the German capital city Berlin.
Why does every post has to be checked by a moderator that doesnt really save time does it?!

At the moment I'm having big problems with capturing it, because there are some frame skips and Final Cut interrupts all the time. It seems that i have problems with playback head or something.
But it doesnt really change on the other camcorders. That's really annoying but i guess I have to live with it too.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:49:21 pm

The moderator review is because you are a new member. It will go away.

Your dropped frames on capture and play back might easily be caused by your full hard drive. Always leave 10-20 free on your media drive.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 27, 2010 at 9:00:11 am

Zane, is that 10-20 percent or gigs? I've always read that the media or any drive should be left no more than 80 percent full. But drives have gotten so big that there is now a huge difference between 20 gigs and 20 percent. Just wondering if that advice has been updated to gigs.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]