FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinema Tools 29.97>23.98 EMERGENCY : (

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
Cinema Tools 29.97>23.98 EMERGENCY : (
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:57:33 pm

Hello,

I have some 1080i 29.97 upper fields footage that needs to be converted to 23.98 but I am having no luck with Cinema Tools : (

I have taken a :30 second piece of the 1080i footage and tried each of the Fields Styles but no matter what the footage plays back funny (viewing in the canvas at 100%). My co-worker was sure one of these patterns would work and originally we counted out the frames to properly determine and not just guess which style to use but that did not work so i went ahead and tried all of the 5 patterns in Style 1 with capture mode set to Field 1- Field 2 (upper).

Now it seems that i will have to take each individual shot from the edit and bring into AE and remove pulldown which is a total bummer and very tedious time consuming work.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or why this is not working ?
Thank you

Sean

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Cinema Tools 29.97>23.98 EMERGENCY : (
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:32:05 pm

Did you make sure you were parked on an "AA" frame in the clip viewer before you hit "OK"? Cinema Tools will assume that the current frame matches whatever part of the cadence pattern you have ticked in the "fields" section of this settings window.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:46:44 pm

Maybe try this method for better results?

http://philipbloom.co.uk/tutorials/canon-5dmkii-tutorials/how-to-convert-ca...

Haven't tried yet myself...

Wedding Films
YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:01:08 pm

hey matt,

so i did not move the in point at all when bringing into CT and its from that first frame that we determined originally how the cadence was - regardless if i tried all 5 versions wouldnt one of them work if I was always parked on the same first frame for all attempts?
thanks
sean

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:12:25 pm

Sean, I re-read your first post and do I understand correctly that the footage is for material that has already been edited? If that is the case, are you sure the cadence is consistent for the whole clip? IE, does it change at the cut points? Cinema Tools will not auto-detect or compensate for changes in the pulldown cadence mid clip.

If that isn't the case, then what you said makes sense ... one of those choice ought to work. But are you sure that your footage isn't "style 2" pulldown.

You could also try toggling off the "standard upper/lower" check box.

As a test, you might want to open the clip in CT and find an "AA" frame in the middle of the clip and rerun the reverse telecine and see what happens.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:05:54 pm

If you don't get Cinema tools to work for you and you have to go through AE, use this script to open your FCP sequence in AE.

http://www.popcornisland.com/category/final-cut/

I use this all the time to take an edited sequence into After Effects and apply effects.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:12:52 pm

[Sean Kapleton] "Now it seems that i will have to take each individual shot from the edit and bring into AE and remove pulldown which is a total bummer and very tedious time consuming work."

...and it is also something that you should have been done in the first place.

You can never, ever guarantee that each and every cut you make on 24p footage still at 29.97 will maintain a consistent pulldown cadence. It just doesn't happen, and a cadence mismatch only has to happen once in the timeline to make life miserable.

Here's more good news -- once you remove the pulldown and scrutinize the edit in a 23.98 timeline, you see that you have to fix some gaps in the clips, too.

So -- did you learn your lesson about not blowing off the pulldown removal before you edit?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]