FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 stills come in distorted as 16:9

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
4:3 stills come in distorted as 16:9
on Mar 25, 2010 at 10:09:38 pm

Everytime I take a client's Powerpoint slides and save them as .jpgs or some other still image they come into the Viewer and timeline distorted to 16:9. I then have to distort them back to 4:3. Is there some setting I need to make so they will stay in the original aspect ratio?
Also, where is the setting for capture handles? I'd like to batch capture clips from tape with an extra 1 second before and after my in/out points. I don't see anything in the capture settings about this.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Michael Peele
Re: 4:3 stills come in distorted as 16:9
on Mar 25, 2010 at 10:31:25 pm

1. Add your clip to the browser/bin first. Check the aspect ratio column. It should say square. If not change it now.

Now, drag your clip to the timeline. It should show correctly.

Imported .psd files always seem to get the aspect ratio of the current setting applied to them, annoying.
IIRC, there is also something about importing clips whose resolution matches the sequence - again FCP tries to be smart and applies an aspect ratio correction to a square pixel image.

2. When you actually go to Batch Capture, you will see an option to add handles, it's not part of the standard Log & Capture window, or part of capture settings. Beware of tapes with timecode breaks and large handles interfering with (overly) long pre-roll settings.

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:13:13 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the response. I now see the option for handles. Never noticed it before.

I don't see how to change the aspect ratio of the slides. I see two columns that list the pixel aspect as HD960x720 and frame size as 960x720. But I don't see an option to change it in the browser.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Michael Peele
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:22:45 pm

select all your photos in the browser.

right/command click the aspect ratio column (the actual column, not the header).

you should, iirc, be able to change the aspect to square.

now, when you drag them to the timeline they should be all good. beware, this will not update clips on the timeline. there may be a way to do this to the clips on the timeline, but im not sure.

good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]