FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hd Monitor/Broadcast Monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Howden
Hd Monitor/Broadcast Monitor
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:52:19 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading my SD suite to a HD suite. I'm thinking about selling my 800 line Sony PVM14" monitor with SDI in/out and eventually replacing with an equivalent say a Sony 24" LMD2451W 1920x1080.

However in the meantime I need a HD monitor. I've been looking at some specs and it seems that the Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor seems to be the pick of the bunch in the under $1000 price range. It's looks like it's got great contrast ratio, response time and color stability.

I'm thinking about running 2 of these side by side, possibly one of them out of a blackmagic card using the HDMI out.

What's everyone else out there using and are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks a bunch :-)

1 X 8-Core Mac Pro Xeon 2.8 Ghz
10 GIG RAM
Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite etc

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Hd Monitor/Broadcast Monitor
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:54:57 pm

I'd say most recommendations I've read have been for FSI monitors. Look to the left on this page for their ad (it's yellow).

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:38:54 pm

I'm using a FSI - 1760...it's a great monitor.

One small issue I have is that I have dual 24" LED apple displays as my editing workspace. The LED's are SO vibrant and bright, that the FSI always looks dark.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:58:37 pm

Yeah...those are COMPUTER monitors, not meant to be used to replace a broadcast monitor. Sure, use them on your system, but not for critical viewing. And I have the Sony LMD monitor in my bay, and I HATE it. Avoid it. Get a Flanders Scientific, or a JVC...or spend more money and get the Sony BVM or PVM series. LMD is a dog. I HIGHLY recommend the Flanders Scientific monitors.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:25:49 pm

Shane is correct. You're not completely understanding the monitor situation by thinking that you can use a computer monitor to replace a true "video" monitor. Don't be swayed by the connections onboard, they are not the same.

And, don't sell your SD monitor either. It will come in handy sometime and you can route the component signal from an I/O device through the SD monitor and have it pass through to an HD monitor, thus allowing you to feed both, choosing the one you need at the moment by simply turning that one on..

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

cow
Chris Borjis
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:55:33 pm

if budget is a concern there are quite a few PVM 14L5 SD/HD monitors
available in cow classifieds and ebay for a very reasonable cost.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:35:37 pm

we have 1 JVC, 3 Flanders and 1 LMD. The Flanders are wonderful highly recommend. The JVC is OK but the viewing angle is about 4 degrees. If you are not straight at it its messed up the LMD sucks in SD it turns dbeta into VHS, in HD via the option card it's much more clear but would not be considered if we were buying more monitors. It would be FSI first and foremost unless we had the budget and ROI for a cinetal.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:51:06 pm

How are you feeding your PVM at the moment?

As has been mentioned, that Dell is a computer monitor, not a NTSC/PAL/ATSC/whatever monitor.

If you're feeding your PVM with something like a Kona LHe which does downconversion from 709 to 601 on the fly, you don't really need an "HD" monitor at the moment. Save some money. This will probably be flamed by purists but remember that TK suites are still using BVMs that are alive.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:54:07 pm

[Craig Sommerer] "If you're feeding your PVM with something like a Kona LHe which does downconversion from 709 to 601 on the fly, you don't really need an "HD" monitor at the moment. Save some money. This will probably be flamed by purists but remember that TK suites are still using BVMs that are alive."

not flaming, but you really should be monitoring in HD if your doing color correction.

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:15:58 pm

Really?

So hardware downconversion from 709 to 601 to tubes that have hardware SDI or even component circuits, the types of monitoring that were commonly being used for film correction not long ago, aren't accurate at all?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16:44 pm

WHich PVM? I have the 14L5 and it works with HD. That monitor is LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the LMD. I had them side by side and my producers always looked at the PVM, and apologized for the LMD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:59:32 am

>say a Sony 24" LMD2451W

Don't ever say that, not even as a joke. Sheesh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]