FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you snap to an edit point in the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyler boudreau
Can you snap to an edit point in the timeline?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:33:42 pm

Hey forum - hope no one is sick of me yet. Got two questions:

1)In an Avid timeline I could hold Ctrl and then click and it would snap to the nearest edit point (for exact inserts, etc). Is there anyway to do that in Final Cut?

2) Also, is there a way to lay in a track without pushing everything out of sync? Example: I have a clip laid in with four audio tracks. I removed one of them from the timeline and later want to add that track back in. So I just want to mark an in and out and lay in that solo audio track. I've figured out locking the tracks and then dragging the clip down does it, but that is tedious. I want to mark in and out and lay in place without shoving everything out of sync.

THANKS!!!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Can you snap to an edit point in the timeline?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:51:23 pm

N toggles snapping on and off and F10 does an overwrite edit.

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:02:44 pm

1. Yes. Hold down N while dragging or press N before hand to toggle snapping on or off. Just looking around the app, menus, help, or google or the cow would have easily found that answer. You can also press the down arrow to go to next edit or the up arrow for previous.

2. FCP does operate differently than Avid in some aspects- but it\'s overwrite and insert are pretty much the same. Mark an in, mark an out, select track patches and click the overwrite button. Or drag from preview to canvas window and drop onto the overwrite popup. Or drag to the timeline where it will determine overwrite or insert by where you drag it to. Drag it to the lower part of a track and you\'ll see a down arrow signifying overwrite. Drag it to higher part and you\'ll see a right arrow signifying insert/ripple. In the latter it\'s going to ripple any track that isn\'t locked. So, by locking some tracks and not others, you can easily ripple just audio or video. Which is hardly ever desired since or profession is all about editing audio and video together in sync.

When I edited Avid, I always kept sync locks all on. 99% of the time. That way if I inserted something by accident, it would ripple everything, keeping the integrity of the audio and video. FCP for the most part functions this way all the time. Although it won\'t split an audio track to do so, it will just ripple the edits down starting at the next edit point for each track. If you want it to NOT. Do this, you would lock the tracks you don\'t want to ripple. So for me, fcp\'s default MO is the way I used to work by default in Avid. Sync locs always on, and almost always using the overwrite command and hardly ever inserting. In fact I used to edit a small chunk of video into the timeline, then insert 30min of black in front of it so that I had a \"blacked\" timeline where I could move things around and rough out ideas. I always thought it stupid that Avid added timeline as you edited.

Hth

Return to posts index

kyler boudreau
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:14:52 pm

Nice info!!! Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on the timeline with Avid Bret. I'd always put a piece of footage out to have working space.

I tried finding the overwrite option in my custom keyboard setup...this helps. The up and down cool too. THANK YOU.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:10:11 pm

Also, Semicolon and Apostrophe select Previous Edit Point and Next Edit Point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]