FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Jensen
Why Mac Pro?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:11:32 pm

Hey guys, this is a desperate call to my fellow mac users. At my work, we are contemplating switching to mac for video editing (Mac Pro). The IT guys basically are saying over my dead body, so I need good reasons of why we should move to mac. Any points will help. Some issues the IT guys are saying is that Mac Pro are proprietary and can't be upgrade, which we all know is a bunch of crap, Ram & HDD wise at least. Help me out please!

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Why Mac Pro?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:19:37 pm

Here's one reason aimed at IT guys:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/03/survey-macs-cost-notably-less-to-...

Also, "proprietary" usually equals "very stable." Mac Pros can be upgraded as much as HP XW or Z workstations can. And they are much less likely to pickup malware and viruses.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:50:08 pm

yeah they will be out of a job...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:52:58 pm

IT guys who say over your dead body have never used OSX.
they are scared of something they don't know.

tell them:
OSX has SAMBA support
Connects to any SAMBA server.
Windows Filesharing on OSX is easy.

Also tell them. Shut up, you don't know shit about Pro Video editing.
I wanna edit RED, P2, XDCAM, DV, sdi in, sdi out, without any troubles.
So i'm gonna use FCP.

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:09:21 pm

The Windows world is as proprietary as the Mac OSX world. Their point is simple: They cannot control security though group polices in Active directory (which means you can do whatever you want in your machine), or deploy updates, in a centralized manner. They only thing they can do is provide exchange support which has been recently supported in Snow Leopard.

They have a point in terms of upgrading the system because hardware choices are quite more limited (which is probably for the best) and probably more expensive so they might see it as a pain in the ass..
This is more of a clash of culture and control than anything else substantial and I don't think the IT department should be in a state of having to be persuaded by anobody for the simple reason that media and video choices isn't their kind of field...

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:12:12 pm

[Aristides Tiropolis] "This is more of a clash of culture and control than anything else substantial and I don't think the IT department should be in a state of having to be persuaded by anobody for the simple reason that media and video choices isn't their kind of field..."

and it happens all the time...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:21:11 pm

[Drew Jensen] "Hey guys, this is a desperate call to my fellow mac users. At my work, we are contemplating switching to mac for video editing (Mac Pro). The IT guys basically are saying over my dead body, so I need good reasons of why we should move to mac."

If you have good reasons for switching to Final Cut, then that's all you need; I love HP workstations, but their machines don't run FCP.

Some companies (like yours) try to have their existing IT departments manage their edit systems, too. This puts production in a tough spot, because even truly great IT departments lack the domain-specific knowledge and experience necessary for supporting video systems. Ideally, IT should have no more input into your edit system purchase than they do your camera purchase -- but good luck convincing anyone of that.

I know some folks from in-house production departments who have managed to get around IT's "help" by classifying their edit systems as special equipment instead of computers; the downside of this approach might include no network or Internet access on your edit systems, though.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:39:34 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If you have good reasons for switching to Final Cut, then that's all you need; I love HP workstations, but their machines don't run FCP. "

Walter said exactly what I was going to say.

The fact is, most others in your area in video and design are using Macs. So, if sharing files and collaborating with other visual artists is important in what you do, it makes sense to work on a Mac. If collaborating with the business people at work is more important, then let the IT guys rule your domain.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:17:04 pm

Who cares what your IT support guys say? They'll never need to touch it. We had an 8-core Mac Pro in our editing suite for almost a year before our IT support guys even knew about it. The only reason they found out about it is because they came to do the regularly scheduled swapout of our UPS units.

They asked, "Does the CIO know you have that?"
I said, "She signed the purchase order."
"You know we can't support it if you have any problems."
"We never have any problems."
"I hope you never need to connect it to the network, because we don't have any Mac techs."
"It's already connected to the network."
"Who did that?"
"I did."
"Who configured it?"
"Jonathan Ive"
"Who's he?"
"Are you done with my UPS? I have work to do."

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Mar 25, 2010 at 9:34:03 pm

That's classic Mark!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:40:49 pm

Tell your IT guys that Mac is a variant of Linux (which is basically true) so networking is easy and reliability is greater than Win boxes. Tell them the hardware is already state of the art and doesn't need constant upgrade except perhaps RAM and graphics cards. Tell them you don't need anti virus software that needs constant updating.

You can also tell them that in my facility we have four Win XP machines, two Macs and two Linux boxes. We have no IT people because you don't need them if you take the time to learn the basics about the tools you work with. The Win machines require a lot more maintenance and were the most difficult to setup.

Finally you can tell them that their job is to learn to maintain the tools that are required to get the real work done. They are support, not the creators of the actual product that you produce so they have to learn to manage the tools, not determine them. There is no reason why any IT pro with basic intelligence would worry about integrating a Mac into a system that already has Win and Linux boxes.

If they haven't the skills to do the job, then replace them. IT facists are a dime a dozen. Chose real IT support people as carefully as you choose your edit systems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]