FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking the Same Edit to Different Media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Courtney
Linking the Same Edit to Different Media?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:36:12 pm

Okay, I have a question that might have a simple solution, and I'm just drawing a mental blank. Here's my issue:

I have a SD sequence where I took a clip of animation from my AE guy, and did a fairly complicated series of time-remapping edits to it. Later we took the sequence and re-cut it for HD, so he made me a new clip of the animation in HD. So, rather than re-do the edit, I simply reconnected the media to the new HD clip, and moved on. Now, however, we need the SD version again, for reasons I won't bore you with.

My question is: is it possible to link the same clip to two different pieces of media on my drive, if they are in two different sequences?

This is mostly a theoretical question. I could re-do the edit in less time than it took me to write this out, but I'm curious if there's a simple solution that's just not occurring to me. I don't think I've ever really wanted to do this before, so maybe I'm just drawing a blank on a glaringly obvious editorial solution.

Thanks.

Steve Courtney

Senior Editor
http://www.venablesbell.com
201 Post Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94108

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Linking the Same Edit to Different Media?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:08:48 pm

What if you right-click on the clip in question while it's in the timeline and use the Reconnect Media command?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Courtney
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:24:59 pm

No, I'm afraid relinking in the timeline still updates the clip across all sequences. I had thought of that. It would be nice if relinking it in the timeline just updated that one instance, while relinking in the browser would relink it in all occurrences. This is not how my system seems to be working. (Perhaps that's an old Avid behavior I'm remembering?)

As I said, this is more of an intellectual exercise than any pressing question, but thanks for thinking about it.

Steve

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:38:33 pm

Save the project as a new project, then you can change the links.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 24, 2010 at 11:00:34 pm

What if you select the clip in the timeline, make it an independent clip and then reconnect? Then, I think, it won't reference other clips any more.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Steve Courtney
on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:12:53 am

That was the exact easy-answer I couldn't think of, thanks John.

Steve

Return to posts index

Blanka Kovacs
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:42:42 am

I started a project on a computer running Avid 5.0 captured all media on that computer, copied the Mxf-s at the end of the day to an external Hard Drive, then took it home to work on it on my home computer which runs 4.3 Avid.
Could not get the seq or clips to relink although I tryed relinking both ways:tryed relinkung the seq first with Relink then tryed with individual clips, besides that tryed making a new project, also deleted Mediafiles database, and MC state.
Nothing has worked, media is offline, the clips were created on the other computer and I can t get them to relink to the duplicated mxfs that are on my home computer now no matter what I do.
Any suggestions? Is this because I have an older Avid?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]