FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - Online to Offline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Golin
FCP 7 - Online to Offline
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:47:50 pm

I've begun a HD DVCPro 720p/60 project.
Now it keeps crashing and won't even open.
I'm convinced I just have too much full-res data in the project (4 hours) and now need to offline it.

What's the proper way of doing so?

I tried using Media Manager (recompress @ Offline RT HD)and sent everything to a NEW OFFLINE project, but while that NEW OFFLINE project was created as well as the media for it, the project file itself seems to be empty...there are no folders, bins, or sequences in the project. Its empty.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 - Online to Offline
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:26:55 pm

That isn't it. DVCPRO HD is one of the easiest HD codecs to edit. It works from firewire 400 drives, and has a very low data rate. MUCH easier than even HDV. I have edited with 82 hours of DVCPRO HD footage from two G-Raids on a G5 with no issues whatsoever... So it isn't your problem, something else is.

#44: FCP acting weird - Trash Prefs

Shane's Stock Answer #44: FCP acting weird or unusual. Just not like is normally should

If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) Shut down for 10 min. Go for a quick walk around the block and get SOME exercise today. Come back, turn on the computer and see how things are.

4) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:28:36 pm

Matt,

I don't understand, why the heck are you willing to throw away hours of your life for an offline/online? A 1Tb drive now costs just $80. So how many hours of your time is that?

Trust me, you will never get those wasted hours back, but buying additional storage can be recouped quite easily.

Meanwhile, what are you using for media drives, and how full are they?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Golin
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:35:56 pm

Wow guys, I so appreciate the quick response.

Every Final Cut Pro project except my feature-length doc is operating perfectly.
This one, when it opens, doesn't stay open for long. Its finnicky and will eventually crash. There is about 4 hours of the aforementioned HD within the project. I'm working on (what I think is) a pretty high-end system...the drive is a 2TB Caldigit HDElement Drive (and there are NO space issues). I've just managed to convince myself the 1.5 hour main sequence is too much for my AJA Kona Card to process.

I did the whole trash preferences thing, restart, looked for corrupt files, etc to no avail.

Interesting that you think I dont need to waste my time on an offline...ugh..so what then?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:57:25 pm

[Matt Golin] " I've just managed to convince myself the 1.5 hour main sequence is too much for my AJA Kona Card to process. "

You are convincing yourself a lot of wrong things today. That statement just simply isn't true. It makes no sense on many levels. The length of the sequence and a Kona card have NOTHING to do with each other. DVCPRO HD will hardly be too much for the Kona card.

Might be a corrupt project. Make a new project, drag all the bins to the new project. Make a new sequence in that new project, copy and paste the footage from the old project to the new one. Make SURE that the new Sequence Settings are for DVCPRO HD, and that they match the footage.

And stop assuming. So far you are batting 0.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Golin
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:14:40 pm

Possibly battling worse than .000

Shane, thanks so much - I'm gonna try exactly this.
You've given me some great insight that I was naive to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]