FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Intermediary Codec or a ProRes codec?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Olsson
Apple Intermediary Codec or a ProRes codec?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 11:33:51 am

Hi or should I say G'day!

I'm about to start editing a major project on FCP which was shot on a Sony HDR-A1P camera on HDV 1080i format (50i).

I don't want to use the native (GOP) codec, so I'm keen to find out what others might suggest as the best codec to use. I've plenty of hard drive space to capture on to, so that is not an issue.

So what would you suggest? Do I use Apple Intermediary Codec or one of the ProRes codecs? At the end of the day the project will go onto DVD and/or possibly BluRay.

Best wishes,

Erik in Perth, Australia.

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: Apple Intermediary Codec or a ProRes codec?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:36:29 pm

You can never go wrong with ProRes, I believe this should be your best choice...

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:37:46 pm

Hi Erik,

ProRes for sure. It's just a case of deciding which one to go with. Do you intend to work with a traditional offline/online method, or do you have the drive space and necessity to be working at online quality from the start?

If it's a large project, which you seem to be saying is the case, I'd use ProRes Proxy for offline work, and then online with ProRes 422 SQ.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:09:18 pm

Here's another vote for ProRes.

And if you can avoid offline-online, do so at all costs. You have to weigh the extra time involved in recapturing footage for the online against the cost of getting more storage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]