FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98 quicktime audio out of sync in FCP but normal in QT player

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
23.98 quicktime audio out of sync in FCP but normal in QT player
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:08:17 am

Working with an HD quicktime that was ingested from a P2 card, DVC pro HD shot on an HVX 200 at 23.98 (supposedly). I don't have access to the original.

This file is funny. When I bring it in to FCP the audio drifts out of sync quickly. I have to slow it down to 99.2% to get it in to sync.

But open it up in QT player and it play normally. ie no audio drift. Try to do an export of that and the resulting file still plays out of sync in FCP.

FCP reports a frame rate of 23.98 but a timecode rate of 30.. and indeed when you inch it forward there are 30 distinct frames before each second rolls over...

Never seen this before... Need to get this file workable as it is the only copy.

Tried opening it up in Cinema tools.. it plays normally with audio in sync.

Anyone ever run into this? I'm baffled.

jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: 23.98 quicktime audio out of sync in FCP but normal in QT player
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:56:42 am

Another thing is that when I put the clip on a 29.97 sequence it plays with the audio in sync... but when I put it on a 23.98 sequence it is out of sync. And it is always out of sync in the viewer.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01:33 am

YOu said the frame rate was 29.97... so in the 29.97 sequence it is in sync. And when you use those settings, do you have to RENDER? See a colored bar above your footage? Or no? In the 23.98 sequence? If you have to render when you put a clip into the timeline, you know INSTANTLY that something isn't right, and you need to stop and figure it out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:06:58 am

In the 23.98 sequence its native - no colored render line at all.. in the 29.97 sequence where it plays normally it shows the dark green line.. ie converting on the fly. Converting 23.98 to 29.97. the audio is not asking for a render in either timeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:08:37 am

Then it was shot 720p 24pN. I never had things go out of sync though. Try this:

#44: FCP acting weird - Trash Prefs

Shane's Stock Answer #44: FCP acting weird or unusual. Just not like is normally should

If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) Shut down for 10 min. Go for a quick walk around the block and get SOME exercise today. Come back, turn on the computer and see how things are.

4) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

Shane

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:12:23 am

Already did the hokey pokey earlier. Can you recommend some other dance? ;)

thanks Shane.

Return to posts index

jason levy
fixed it.
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:11:09 am

Made a copy of the media and then used FCP to change the timecode (not the frame rate) to 24 (menu-> modify -> timecode - rate)

Very weird. Seemed to be a 23.97 quicktime with 30 fps timecode and that seemed to be confusing FCP. Changed the timecode to 24 (there is no option for 23.98 of course) and it's normal.

Thanks for helping out guys..

jason

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: fixed it.
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:24:40 pm

[jason levy] "Changed the timecode to 24 (there is no option for 23.98 of course) and it's normal.
"

WHOA....

There is a BIG difference between 23.98 and 24.0

you did not have that option in FCP because you have not ever opened Cinema Tools.
Open CT and conform to 23.98 or you will have MASSIVE problems later.

if you set the TC right in Cinema tools FIRST, it will be correct in FCP.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01:47 pm

It's a subtle point. One has to look at the difference between framerate and timecode rate. Two different things.

There is a big difference between framerates of 24 and 23.98.. yes. But if you are talking about timecode there is no such thing as 23.98 TIMECODE. There are exactly 24 frames for every time the second digit ticks over regardless of whether the framerate is 24 or 23.98. That is why when when you go to the timecode menu I mentioned there is no way to select 23.98... just 24.

Still don't get why or how the material was ingested with a frame rate of 23.98 and a timecode rate of 30 fps. That is what caused FCP to play it back improperly. Fixing the timecode rate got it working properly again.

thanks for taking the time to discuss this. It's appreciated.

jason

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:34:04 pm

[jason levy] "There are exactly 24 frames for every time the second digit ticks over regardless of whether the framerate is 24 or 23.98. That is why when when you go to the timecode menu I mentioned there is no way to select 23.98... just 24"

Since recording and playback mechanisms are physically slowed down to achieve 23.98 one needs to be careful when making assumption.

24.0 materials playback differently than 23.98 material does.

I was making the point that Cinema Tools sees and understands both as individual frame rates , while FCP does understand 23.98, it has extreme issues with 24.0 fps, it is a small distinction to you, but a big one to those that work at integer frame rates.
Final Cut is not the "end all" solution for these types of issues.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:58:03 am

1080i at 23.98, or 720p at 23.98? Did you use 720p 24PN? 1080i 24p? 1080i 24pA? when you shot the footage?

Did you check the REMOVE PULLDOWN in the LOG and TRANSFER PREFS, in the Sprocket drop down menu in the L&T interface?

Shane

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:04:21 am

720p... I didn't shoot it so I don't know the answer to that question.

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:59:22 am

What are you monitoring on and what do you mean when you say FCP reports a frame rate of 23.98?

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:03:04 am

When you look at "item properties" it shows 23.98 as the frame rate.

Monitoring on the standard apple hardware. Sound is not out of sync.. it's drifting out of sync. Rest of the material is normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]