FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper Capture Settings HV20?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darcy Pease
Proper Capture Settings HV20?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:41:59 pm

Hey there,

Sorry if this is redundant, but I can't find anything with my case exactly.

I shot a whole bunch of footage on mini dv, in 16:9, with the Sony DSR PD150, I'm trying to capture the footage via a Canon HV20 with FCP 5.0.1, I'm also using a usb external drive as a scratch disc (not sure if this is relevant, maybe it's too laggy),

but what would be the best capture settings to set?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Proper Capture Settings HV20?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:11:18 am

thats not going to work at all. (usb external as your capture scratch disc)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01:28 am

Canon often doesn't play well with Sony shot video and vice versa. USB is not a media drive though you might get away with it for short SD clips. I would stay with the PD150 so you don't run into sync problems. If you are trying to save the heads and transport on the pd150, then just "capture now" the whole tape rather than trying to use it as a log and capture deck.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Darcy Pease
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:30:53 pm

The reason I was using the external as the scratch disc was because the macbook I was using had only 11 gigs free. Now I'm on a PC, running premiere pro, but I was wondering Craig, what kind of sync issues you were referring to when importing sony footage with a cannon cam, because the audio is all digitally distorted when i import, and I monitored with headphones, adjusting the audio manually when I shot, so I'm hoping this is indeed a Sony/Cannon capture issue, and not dirty video heads? The PD150 was rented, which is why I'm not using it to log, but if this is just a compatability issue I may have to rent it again.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:42:28 am

Most of my poor experience mixing these brands has been Canon shot footage not playing back in sync with a Sony deck or cam. But I have heard a lot of reports about the two brands not working well together. Canon cams are known to have heads that get out of alignment. But it can happen to any camcorder and if this is the problem then your best bet is to use the exact cam that shot the footage. I've also been told, but I have no direct knowledge, that Canon uses a slightly different standard for firewire. Either way, if you are getting messed up audio and you know it played fine on the original cam, try a different deck. As long as you are renting, might as well go for a dsr11 or any sony deck unless you think the pd150 was out of alignment. Another way to go is to buy a small sony cam to use as a deck.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Darcy Pease
on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:07:12 pm

look like it was a compatibility issue, i rented a sony dv deck and the audio's fine. thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:14:38 am

You're using FCP 5? Wow.

You should just set your internal drive as the capture scratch and then transfer the footage to the USB drive afterwards. You can play HD and SD off of a USB 2.0 drive, you may just get dropped frames if you try to play high quality in the timeline with HD. Since you're capturing SD, it shouldn't be a problem though.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]