FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradient compositing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garske
Gradient compositing?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:50:41 pm

Hi,

What I need to accomplish is to have a clip fade from transparent to opaque. That is so that half of the shot will fade to transparent so that I can lay something beneath it and both will be visible.

I've had some limited success using composite mode on an overlayed gradient. However, I can't seem to get a smooth transition without any artifacts.

I know you can also use the 8 point matte to achieve such a thing but I find this effect cumbersome & I wish FCP had a free form mask tool with out having to go to Motion.

I think this effect is possible with a gradient but I can't get it to work. Does anyone have any insight on how to achieve this effect?

Thanks in advance for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Mike

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Gradient compositing?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:24:21 pm

Try using the mask shape along with mask feather. Center and size the mask where you want, in your case probably using the rectangle shape. Then crank up the feather to get the gradient you want.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:25:59 pm

Hi, if I understand you right you could, with 3 video layers have the same clip on the top two layers, add an edge wipe to the top layer, double click the wipe and make the start and end the same percentage, say 50%, feather the edge and make the duration of the wipe the duration of the clip. You now have a static wipe. Reduce the opacity of the clip underneath using the clip overlay (option w). Place another clip underneath which will show through. Just one of many ways to do this.
Regards, Matt.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice I've never used a wipe in that way before it's a clever idea. A simple way for linear masks any way. I wish they would put a pen tool for drawing your own masks in FCP itself. my system can't handle Motion all that well.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:06:16 pm

I know, maddening isn't? How hard can it be? Every time I work on Avid I realise how much I use animatte. There is a free plugin called 50 point bezier matte (search for it). It is fiddly but if you make a random shape with loads of points and save it as a favourite you can then use it when you need it. It is still a bit of a pain because you have to keep selecting the points in the viewer before you adjust them in the canvas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]