FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAMEX inc uncompressed 10bit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Power
XDCAMEX inc uncompressed 10bit
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:51:57 pm

I have a short documentary that I've shot and edited in XDCamEX and now I have to incorporate some archival footage sent as uncompressed (blackmagic) 10bit. The former is 8bit right, which is why the latter 10bit won't go easily into the timeline (rendering effects and outputing gives me geen frazzled images)?

So, I've experimented with changing the timeline's codec to ProRes HQ. This works fine but I'm open to alternatives? Another is recompressing archival scenes to ProRes HQ first.

The program will be output in HD finally (using Photo JPEG to help the mac mini play it in Quicktime in the screening area of a museum).

I'm working on FCP7 on a Mac Pro 2.66ghz Dual Core, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance for yr advice.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
Re: XDCAMEX inc uncompressed 10bit
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:54:01 pm

I prefer to have all footage the same codec (Avid mentality, I guess). When I work with XDCamEX I log and transfer it in as ProRes 422 HQ as I feel FCP works much better with this than the original codec. Try that.

Mixing the 8bit XDCamEX and 10-bit blackmagic doesn't necessarily explain the "geen frazzled" issue, but PR422 HQ can be 10-bit so hopefully this will resolve that issue. Could be some serious rendering involved though if your quality settings are too high as the XDCamEX stuff will at some point need to convert to ProRes.

RB

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: XDCAMEX inc uncompressed 10bit
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:03:49 pm

Drop everything in a Prores sequence and set "Render in high precision".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]