FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I remove glare from a clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suhaimi Baruddin
Can I remove glare from a clip?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:43:26 am

Hi

So I have an interview clip whereby the cameraman didn't notice a glare. Now I'm tasked with removing it.

Its constantly at the same place, smack dab on the forehead so its visible, and as the person turns his head, sometimes falls on his hair and background.

Is there any other workaround? Reshoot is not a viable option, so I'm going to do it in post.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Can I remove glare from a clip?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:42:23 pm

Remove? Not in a practical sense.
Reduce? Somewhat.

When the digital image has an area of blown-out white, you have no data in the burned area. One thing you can try is to use the 3- way color corrector to try and mitigate the hot spots, by selsctively darkening or tinting them, but again, this cannot by itself replace the missing video information in the burned area. This is why I always say it is better to slightly under-expose than over-expose digital video when shooting. Under-exposure can be fixed a bit, because you still have bits to fix.

There is a plug-in out there for fixing blown-out shots, it helps a lot, but is not miraculous. Outside of rotoscoping and hand-painting each frame, you might try to sample just the area of the burn and tint the sampled area from an adjacent flesh tone area, using partial opacity and blend modes. This might wind up callign more attention to itself than leaving it alone. Depending on the framing, maybe you can crop the shot?

If you could post a still frame here, you might get some better advice abotu how to repair it.

Return to posts index

Sam Ellens
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:14:31 pm

I agree with everything Mark says, but as he says nothing is going to give you a miracle. You can't make it good, just less bad. Unless you have a lot of experience and a lot of free time.

also, I'm going to be using
"Under-exposure can be fixed a bit, because you still have bits to fix. "
when I need to talk to underexperienced cameramen I'm working with. Good line.

Post a still so we can see how bad it is.

Sam Ellens
Intern - Zamasti Films
4th year at Ryerson University - Radio and Television Arts

My system: iMac 21.5 3.06GhZ 4GB

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:39:27 am

Hi
This preview of Photoshop CS5 offers some hope...

Return to posts index

Suhaimi Baruddin
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:31:02 am

Thanks for the response guys.

Unfortunately, it needed to have a quick fix (can't post the video as it was someone pretty high up and done in confidentiality) so I had to make it less bad so to speak.

Lucky for me the glare didn't move. The bad part was that since it was an interview video, the glare looke like a white spot on his forehead, and since he does turn his head a bit covers his hair.

So I masked the spot just below that white mar in After Effects, though I guess you can do in FCP too, and covered the spot, blurred and put some filter to slightly blur the image under the pretex of making the image "warm" : )

Not the best solution, but hey, it worked. Client's happy with it, so far anyways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]