FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kodak Zi8 into FCP 5.0.4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caspar Poyck
Kodak Zi8 into FCP 5.0.4
on Mar 20, 2010 at 5:35:21 pm

I just bought the Kodak Zi8 camera and have been having a great time shooting inserts and fun b-roll with it. Now I want to edit and have been downloading both the 720p and 1080p clips to my harddrive. they come in as .MOV and look great !
When I import them into my FCP (old beast 5.0.4) they run very choppy (audio smooth).
the only way I have been able to work with them is if I convert them all one by one, or drag all clips into the canvas timeline and render them. Clearly a pain in the neck. Do you have any suggestions how to work with this more easily ?
Is it true that FCP 7 just uses any source material and recognizes the different frame-rates, resolutions and codecs without worry ?
I need me some help ! I can edit but I ain't no IT guy
Thank you all in advance !

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: Kodak Zi8 into FCP 5.0.4
on Mar 20, 2010 at 7:18:21 pm

[Caspar Poyck] "have been downloading both the 720p and 1080p clips to my harddrive. they come in as .MOV and look great !
When I import them into my FCP (old beast 5.0.4) they run very choppy"

Just because the files are .mov files (i.e. Quicktime files) does not mean they are perfect for editing in FCP. The fact is, all of the small video cams, including the Zi8 and Flip Cams, record highly compressed codecs that are known as delivery codecs, not editing codecs.

The Zi8 records in .h264 format, and those files need to be transcoded to another format for editing in FCP. Since you have the old 5.04 version, that means you will have to transcode to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for editing. Most people download MPEG Streamclip for free to do that job. Choose Export to Quicktime, and then make sure to set it to AIC in the options drop down menu.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Caspar Poyck
Re: Kodak Zi8 into FCP 5.0.4
on Mar 21, 2010 at 3:47:52 am

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your extremely detailed and rapid responds. This is great !
I will give Streamclip a try.

Thanks again,

Caspar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]