FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD in letterbox or widescreen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
SD in letterbox or widescreen
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:35:05 am

I think this is an easy question to answer.

I've got 3 kinds of footage in this documentary:
1. Footage shot with a DVX100a that was shot in "letterbox" mode. Meaning it's a standard miniDV recording (NTSC) but recorded onto the image is black on top and black on bottom.
2. Part way through recording, they switched to regular 4:3 recording so they had some wiggle room to move the image up or down in post (kind of like an overscan).
3. Towards the end of the project, they shot some HD 720p material for b-roll.

ASSUMING I want to stay in SD, what combination of presets or EasySetup should I use? I want the widescreen look. the film will play at a film festival in a few weeks. I can deliver a .mov file so I don't have to go to tape or DVD.

Embedded in this question, is what scaling and distortion aspect ratio should I use for each clip that I drop into the timeline?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: SD in letterbox or widescreen
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:37:45 am

I would edit in 4:3 keeping the letterboxed video as is then I would drop in the 720 which will auto letterbox. For the fullscreen 4:3 I would add a letterbox mask at the end of editing.

Then if you want to make it a true anamorphic movie, I would do it via hardware the Kona products do a pretty good job with this conversion. and it would be done in real time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]