FORUMS: list search recent posts

weird problem with HDV to ProRes Capture setting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carbonneau
weird problem with HDV to ProRes Capture setting
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:16:33 pm

I'm having an issue capturing onto my RAID using the HDV to ProRes capture setting in FCP 7. When I capture everything seems fine, and plays back fine in FCP. But my problem is when i click on just the RAID to look at the files in quicktime, it seems them as documents. Very bizzarre! Everything else I digitize, whether it's NTSC from Beta SP or DV goes in fine and are movs on the RAID, but for some reason HDV to Prores capture is creating them as docs. This prevents me from seeing the files in Motion. I've gone into the RAID and changed the files manully to a MOV extension and that seems to work but this is very odd. Any help?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: weird problem with HDV to ProRes Capture setting
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:14:33 pm

Have you trashed prefs & repaired permissions?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeff Carbonneau
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:17:26 pm

i've repaired the permissions... haven't trashed the prefs yet... but could it be as simple as that... i'll try it , but i never changed the prefs to begin with

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:54:16 pm

Prefs periodically get corrupted by normal operations. It's the first thing I do when FCP starts acting strangely. Trash first, then repair permissions.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:13:10 pm

I've seen this mentioned a few times else where and it looks like a known issue where the workaround is to just rename the files like you've been doing.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:17:46 pm

I've seen the same problem. I use Automator to add a .mov extension to the end of the files and the problem goes away.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:05:39 pm

I have been plagued by this this week. Its not pretty. My work flow is HDV captured as prores for all footage I shoot. This is a major BUG! I started to edit after capture and everything was fine. Closed FCP and when I relaunched all the clips in the viewer are now white and the sequence was offline. Even after I added the .mov to all the clips in capture scratch I couldn't reconnect the media. I ended up re importing the clips after adding the .mov to all the clips and reediting the project. Major pain and time waster. I hope this gets fixed ASAP.
For now don't edit anything until you change the extensions.

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:31:55 pm

Whew! I thought I was the only one with this problem. I searched the forum, but didn't see anything about it.

I've been capturing HDV footage from a Canon HV20 to ProRes without difficulty for the past several years, and all of the sudden my capture files are identified as text files when I look at them in the Finder. Strangely enough, FCP allows me to use the clips for editing.

I trashed my preferences last night (but didn't think of repairing permissions--I'll try that tonight) and the problem continued after capturing a test clip.

To address, but not solve, the problem, I open the clips individually in QuickTime Player, then save them as QuickTime self-contained movies. It's a pain in the rear and a time waster, but at least it takes care of it. I delete the "text" files, then import the new files into my FCP project.

I wish I knew exactly when this problem started (such as the update to 7.0.1), but I don't.

Sometimes I think I spend more time fooling with computer issues than editing video. :)

Jim

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:05:52 pm

Please report this bug to Apple. The more we report it hopefully it will get resolved.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

Philip Van Dyck
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:55:45 am

Problem is solved in the latest pro apps update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]