FORUMS: list search recent posts

Greenscreen Sets with real props

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chancler Haynes
Greenscreen Sets with real props
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:11:01 pm

If I want a room to be partially green screen while I have objects on set such as a table and chair, is there a certain way I'm supposed to arrange the table and chair so that what I put in the key background with look proportioned?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Greenscreen Sets with real props
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:59:44 pm

You're askin' a whole bunch of chroma keying questions today. I certainly hope you're asking them in preparation for TESTS of these techniques before you do your actual shooting.

Why? Because if you DON'T do tests and DON'T learn about the importance of good lighting and DON'T learn how to cut down on spill from the key background and DON'T learn that a good camera makes a lot of difference and DON'T learn that there are far better applications than FCP for chroma keying, you're going to be jumping into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim. That's why you run tests.

And if you're asking questions like these, you really do need to run tests. Blow them off at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chancler Haynes
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:56:14 pm

I appreciate that, and I apologize. I am researching in all avenues including this creative cow website, so I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just throwing plain questions out there. I am going to run tests, I just wanted a general direction to start in since I've only done green screen once and it was a while ago, and it didn't turn out so well.

Which camera would you suggest? I'm possibly going to be shooting on Red or Panasonic HDX 900. Also, you mentioned a better program for keying, can you give me some examples so I can go look them up? Thank you.

And about the set props in front of green screen, is there somewhere I can find a tutorial for that as well? Yes, they probably should have taught me all this at Full Sail Film School back in '04, but when I went there, we actually didn't dabble too much in green screen effects. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Chancler Haynes
http://www.youtube.com/Chancler

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:56:10 pm

Check out Keylight in After Effects. It's great.

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:42:43 pm

Congratulations on your prudence!

All too often we see people who simply want to jump into the deep end of the pool, unwilling to do their homework. Apparently they think if you've got an HDV camera and a laptop, you've got the world.

You can't argue with a RED camera, that's for sure. Good choice! But cumbersome workflow for FCP.

Keying software? Check out the Primatte keyer in Motion. It's a good place to start. Keylight's also good.

As for pulling a key on a chroma key set, the primary problems are lighting inconsistencies and light spill on the subjects.
You'll want to choose subject colors carefully; for example, it's not a wise choice to place a table with yellow legs onto a chroma key green set.

You'll want to avoid reflective surfaces as much as possible -- who wants a big glob of green in the middle of a chrome coffee pot? Hey, it could happen.... no, it's unavoidable!

And know that complicated keys are NOT an easy, one-step process... nor can they be made easy. quite often efx people will cut up the shot into several sections, each one addressing a particular keying problem. They'll rotoscope a lot. They'll pull mattes using a wide variety of techniques which can't be addressed in a simple thread.

So how do those guys who shoot on virtual sets do it? A lot of them use the same studio set day after day, they've gone through hell over the course of weeks & months to tweak the lights just right, the set is designed with chroma key in mind, they've already experienced their own particular keying disasters and have learned from it... and they use pricey chroma-keying hardware -- think of a rack-mounted box costing six figures.

If you haven't been to this web site yet, you owe it to yourself to do so:
http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_index.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]