FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting confused plz help

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Chenoweth
Getting confused plz help
on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:30:41 pm

I captured some video at HDV 1080i60 (Canon Vixia) and also had some previous footage
that was 640x480.

In FCP6.0.6 Sequence Settings I have the two clips set up and doing test exports to try to learn more about the settings. Exporting to (1) HDV1080i60 (2) none and (3) h264

I cannot for the life of me get a video of a normal proportion. I am trying every conceivable
combination of frame size and pixel aspect ratio. The footage is really 4:3. It's Super-8 film I video-taped. It always comes out slightly squashed in the horizontal direction.

Should my pixel aspect ratio be HDV 1440x1080 or should it be square? How can I get these
segments to render to DV quality (720x540) and not have it be squashed sideways?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rich

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Getting confused plz help
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:28:16 pm

your description is a little confusing. HDV is a 16:9 frame. So trying to get it to "print out" to 4:3 doesn't quite equate. Normally you could just to a send from FCP to compressor. Pick the DVD compression setting. Set it to 16:9. Run the compression and then in DVD SP import the resulting M2v file and create your DVD with the disc set to 16:9. A DVD can be either 16:9 or 4:3, not both (unless they added a new setting somewhere.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Richard Chenoweth
on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:12:13 pm

Thanks for responding Robb.

Basically, I was thinking I could have this 4:3 video rendered in a 16:9 frame if I had to.

I can't figure out why image is squashed. Here is a screenshot: http://www.chenarch.com/test_rc.jpg

Thanks again,

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Chenoweth
on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:20:07 pm

I tossed the file and started over WITHOUT loading the 640x480 piece of footage. It seems to be sitting in the frame correctly now...

Thx!

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 19, 2010 at 12:54:45 am

sounds like you might have let the 640 footage create the settings in the timeline for you.

Return to posts index

Richard Chenoweth
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:20:44 am

Hey Robb,

Hey I think I finally figured it out (I'm still learning).

When capturing HDV the frame size is 1440x1080 (4/3) and the pixel ratio is 1440x1080 (4/3).
When these are multiplied they make 16/9 for the eventual HDV. So that makes sense now.

So if I want this footage of old Super-8 to come out in a 4/3 ratio, I need to make the frame size 1080/1080 (1/1) and leave pixel ratio at 1440x1080 (4/3), so when multiplied this gives a final image resolution of 1440/1080 and it comes out in 4/3 format. I think I understand this now.

Seems to all be working. Yeah, I think importing the 640x480 plus the HDV screwed things up the first time.

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:24:43 am

If I understand what you're doing-simply point the camera at the screen and fill the frame as best you can. Then pull in the HDV footage into FCP as HDV. Your film footage will be the same size, in the center of the widescreen frame. Send to compressor and render out for DVD. Pull into DVDsp and it will set it up as a Widescreen DVD. The Film footage will remain in the correct size and shape in the middle. You've been over thinking it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]