FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best monitor for editing SD in FCP for Youtube/web

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bell
Best monitor for editing SD in FCP for Youtube/web
on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:47:52 pm

What would be the best monitor setup for editing in fcp and uploading to youtube? A broadcast monitor would be overkill wouldn't it? And expensive... but I would still like to see work in progress blown up on an isolated screen... Ideas anyone?

Some great deals on SD broadcast monitors right now though, so will consider one if their are real benefits... but an HD monitor would be pointless right?

Someone said use dvi out into an LCD TV? Is this nuts? Will FCP support this?

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
Re: Best monitor for editing SD in FCP for Youtube/web
on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:55:47 pm

If the end result is to be viewed on a typical computer LCD, that's what you need to use.

Note that the gamma difference between OS X and Windows has been a problem in the past. Snow Leopard finally standardized on 2.2 screen gamma (same as Windows), but you can of course set that in earlier versions of OS X.

It's like mixing pop hits to be listened to in the car; you gotta check the mix in an actual car, not on your $10K studio monitors in a treated room.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:22:05 pm

Even if you're only ever going to use the video on the web, there are people like me who will still insist on using a calibrated broadcast monitor.

It's a reference standard, and the video will always look more or less the same from brand to brand, edit platform to edit platform, facility to facility.

Most computer monitors are not made to rigorous standards (although many are). So previewing on, say, a good quality Dell and then on a comparable HP your video will look very different.

When your video goes out to the wild world of YouTube (or broadcast TV, for that matter), it will be completely at the mercy of the individual user's bad shopping habits. There's absolutely nothing you can do about that, so my personal choice is to make it look as good as possible on my broadcast monitor to broadcast specs.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:25:07 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "Even if you're only ever going to use the video on the web, there are people like me who will still insist on using a calibrated broadcast monitor. "

I'm one of those people too...

A broadcast monitor will let you start at a standard baseline and your video will show up correctly on people's computer monitors that have been calibrated (ie the people that actually care). My QT exports of final material look fantastic on my calibrated computer screens after using the broadcast monitor for grading.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]