FORUMS: list search recent posts

35mm Workflow Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Hedges
35mm Workflow Question
on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:47:04 pm

I am working on an AMC series that will be shot on 35mm and we will telecine to HDCAM MOS at 23.98. We are going to cut in FCP and need the audio to be .1% faster so that it will sync with the tele picture. Our audio guy is going to record at 29.97 at 48048K. My editor claims that FCP will simply play back the 48048 as 48 and we may have sync issues. Any input on how we should proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Shon

Shonners

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: 35mm Workflow Question
on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:08:06 pm

Shonners, I think your editor is right and it is not a very good idea to bring the 48048 files straight into FCP. I think FCP it will try to do some auto sync correction, which always scares me.

it should be a simple matter though to change the footage to 48000 Hz. The key is to do this without resampling the audio, so you get the proper speed change, thereby maintaining sync. How are you ingesting the footage? If it's from DAT, you can just set your machine to playback at 48000. Otherwise, you need to run your digital audio files through some kind of batch process to do the necessary adjustments (via compressor, for example). In the past I've used ProTools. If you wanna go really hardcore (and free), you could do it via the command line, using SOX.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]