FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will upgrading make the difference?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Phillips
Will upgrading make the difference?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:09:58 pm

Hello all,

I've been an AVID editor for years and got Final Cut Studio 2 about a year ago for my home Macbook to finally begin learning Final Cut and all related software.

Unfortunately, Compressor has never worked. When a job is submitted is just sits there or if it does start the job, it tells me it's going to take six hours to compress fifteen seconds.

SO...I went the Mac store, got the Compressor Troubleshooting tips sheet...did everything on the sheet including re-install the software. It still does NOT work.

I also spoke to tech support on the phone and they told me they provide minimal support since they've come out with Final Cut Studio 3.

I'm considering biting the bullet and just upgrading.

Has anyone else out there had problems with Compressor or anything else in Final Cut Studio 2 that was solved by upgrading?

What do I from there if Compressor still doesn't work?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Will upgrading make the difference?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:29:12 pm

MacBook or MacBook Pro? MacBooks don't meet the spec for many FCS apps. Just like they'd struggle to run Avid software.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad Phillips
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:58:48 pm

Oh sorry....running it on a Mac Book Pro...everything else has worked fine.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:18:51 pm

The problem you are encountering is very unusual. Given that you are new to FCS I'm guessing pilot error, but for the moment let's rule that out.

Do you happen to have an extra firewire drive laying about? If so, then I would suggest that you do a ground up installation of both the OS and FCS2 on that drive. Do the OS first, then boot to that drive and do all of the updates for it until you get the message that all software is up to date. Then, install FCS2 and update it until you get the software is up to date message. Then fix permissions using Apple Disk Utility. Now test Compressor and report back...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Brad Phillips
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:45:06 pm

David,

Thanks for the response. I've taken my Mac Book Pro to the place that sold me the computer and the software and they were stumped by my issue. The activity monitor shows Compressor is spinning it's wheels but nothing is happening.

They suggested I upgrade to Snow Leopard so I did that and it didn't make a difference. As well, I've fixed permissions as well as re-install the application twice...made sure I did everything else listed on the Compressor troubleshooting list. I've used Compressor on other Macs and it's worked fine.

I'll give your suggestions a try and report back.

Return to posts index

Chadwick Shoults
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:50:33 pm

I had that issue a few years back on Final Cut Studio 1. I did a clean re-install of the suite and then compressor worked fine.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:21:45 pm

[Brad Phillips] "I've taken my Mac Book Pro to the place that sold me the computer and the software and they were stumped by my issue. The activity monitor shows Compressor is spinning it's wheels but nothing is happening."

It doesn't surprise me in the least that places that sell Mac hardware are stumped by issues with any ProApps application. Anyone who knows how to use these apps is using them professionally, not selling them professionally.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]