FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding 24p QuickTimes from Image Sequences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caine Mitchell
Encoding 24p QuickTimes from Image Sequences
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:42:01 am

Hi All

Currently offline editing an independently produced 3D animated feature. The final renders are coming from Compositing as Tiff image sequences via After Effects.

Workflow-wise the final delivery is to film. For the "offline" edit I am converting the Tiff image sequences to Pro Res 422 HQ QuickTimes. Working in 1280x720 res @ 24pfs.

My issue is that Compositing has been working in 30 fps and 25 fps AE projects when bringing all the elements together. So when I bring their rendered image sequences in from these projects into Compressor and encode them out as the Pro Res 24pfs QuickTimes I am getting a troubling result.

As an example, I have a shot that is 264 frame duration. At 211 frames into the shot frame 264 is displaying and holds for the remaining 53 frames of the shot. FYI this is the last 1/5th of the shot and is a consistent result across all shots.

So essentially the QuickTime's total shot length is as it should be, 11 seconds @ 24pfs, however there is the issue that the entire animation in the shot starts and ends exactly 80% into the shot, with a repeat of the last frame of the animation for the last 20% of the shot.

I am thinking that there is some metadata stored in the Tiff image sequences that is causing Compressor to "misinterpret" for want of a better term what I am wanting to do there.

So I have performed some tests including selecting "so source frames play at 24fps" in the Inspector in Frame Controls - but no luck. With QT 7 I can import the image sequence and export it as a 24 pfs movie and it works flawlessly so there is either a bug in Compressor or I am missing a setting which I am hoping for another opinion/s on?

Any immediate assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW unfortunately we don't really have the luxury of Compositing reformatting their projects and re-exporting their image sequences, if indeed this is the possible cause of the issue.

Mitch

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Encoding 24p QuickTimes from Image Sequences
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:40:43 pm

[Caine Mitchell] "My issue is that Compositing has been working in 30 fps and 25 fps AE projects when bringing all the elements together."

thats the issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:48:01 pm

As Chris implies, you should have picked a single frame rate BEFORE YOU BEGAN THE PROJECT.

Now you have to go back and fix everything. Have fun.

[Caine Mitchell] "BTW unfortunately we don't really have the luxury of Compositing reformatting their projects and re-exporting their image sequences, if indeed this is the possible cause of the issue. "

Then you will still have to pick a frame rate, and conform all the footage to that frame rate. If you're in this much of a hurry, buying and learning how to use frame rate conversion software won't be much help. You can TRY using Compressor to get everything to a single frame rate.

And if you had everything precisely timed-out, those timings are going to be off. Sorry, but it sounds like you painted yourself into a corner -- because of that frame rate mixup, you were doomed from the beginning, pal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:26:24 pm

Hi Chris and Dave

Yes doomed from the start is exactly what I thought.

FYI I've only come on this project in the last few days so these bad decisions were made well in advance before I arrived. I would have thought this was a no brainer to work in all areas of production at the same frame rate that the project would be delivered, but alas they have not.

Well I'll put the decision on what to do next to the powers that be. Ideally all compositing projects reformatted to 24psf, re-rendered and re-delivered to me, as with the consensus here.

Thanks for the confirmation, it obviously helps my case to argue the above.

Best regards.

Mitch

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:45:25 pm

[Caine Mitchell] "Ideally all compositing projects reformatted to 24psf, re-rendered and re-delivered to me, as with the consensus here. "

It would be the most flexible frame rate -- good for both film-out and the web as is, good for NTSC broadcast by adding 3:2 pulldown, good for PAL just by conforming to 25.

One admonition -- let the compositing folks know that the film frame rate in NTSC-land -- often referred to as 24p and incorrectly called 23.98 -- is in fact 23.976 frames/sec. Likewise, video isn't 30 frames/sec but 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:02:05 pm

Do you really think I should, I wouldn't want their heads to explode ;-)

Thanks again Dave.

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]