FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing 24PA

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monica Rabinovitch
Capturing 24PA
on Mar 13, 2010 at 12:15:06 am

Hello there.

Having some issues with 24PA footage. Set my capture settings at DV NTSC Advanced Pulldown, started editing, and then found that certain clips were behaving strangely. Like, I'd set my in/out points, and it would give me something different in the timelime. Tried working in both 23.98 and 29.97 sequences and kept getting this. Then found out that the clips giving me trouble were for some reason captured at 29.97. Which is strange, cause I captured all the footage at the same time with the same preset, and most were captured at 23.98, but a few interspersed were captured at 29.97.

So I went about trying to recapture these clips with the Advanced Pulldown setting, and again they were at 29.97. So I opened the Capture preset which for some reason says 29.97 fps (this is how it's supposed to be I imagine), and tried setting it to 23.98. The resulting footage that was captured was indeed 23.98 but now looks like it has a bit of a stutter and a very interlaced looking frame every 10 frames or so.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Monica

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Capturing 24PA
on Mar 13, 2010 at 2:56:45 am

What camera where you using. Is there anyway that someone changed the setting on the camera to 24p instead of 24pA for these clips?

The capture framerate is 29.97 then the Remove Advance Pulldown, looks for the flags from the camera to remove the redundant fields. When the clips are captured the clips will be 23.98. For some reason the capture is not seeing or there are no pull down flags on these clips.

Return to posts index

Monica Rabinovitch
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:51:26 pm

Yeah, I've tried capturing again, and it seems like it's the same clips that keep being digitized at 29.97. So what should I do then? Should I just digitize everything at regular 29.97 without the pulldown?

Return to posts index

Monica Rabinovitch
on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:43:42 pm

I'm thinking I'll just convert my 23.98 to 29.97, and work in 29.97, as I'll be outputting at the rate anyway

Return to posts index

Scott Robert
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:00:14 am

Or you can take you 29.97 clips to Cinema Tools and convert them to 23.97. It possible the camera you used may have been bumped to record 24P instead of 24pA. Especially The DVX Panasonic cameras has that dial where it's easy to rub and change the setting without knowing it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:02:13 pm

I bet you tried capturing entire tapes using Advanced Pulldown Removal. Bad idea.

As soon as FCP encounters any sort of discontinuity in pulldown flags or time code when capturing a clip, it immediately reverts to 29.97. The clip is NOT 23.976 as intended.

When shooting, did you review a shot? Did you remove, then reinsert a tape? Did you turn the camera on & off? Did you change batteries? Most people do, and any of these things could have screwed up the flags & time code. The transport on a DV camera is a MACHINE with lots of tiny little moving parts, and machines occasionally screw up.

So what should you do now? What you should have done in the first place.

Bite the bullet -- use log & capture.

Log individual shots only, setting in points once new shots begin and and out points before shots end. Thus, each shot has continuous time code and pulldown flags, which FCP will be happy to remove when capturing. You'll be able to eliminate all those bad takes, too. Then batch capture all the logged shots.

Then edit with ease.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Monica Rabinovitch
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:46:23 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response. You are absolutely correct. And that's what I ended up doing - going back and logging clips. Even using "capture now" after the timecode break would still often lead to the clips being captured at 29.97 instead of 23.98. Only setting in and out points guaranteed 23.98.

Thanks for responding! :)

M.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:30:53 pm

[Monica Rabinovitch] "Thanks for responding! :) "

You're welcome, ma'am.

You'd be astounded by the number of people for whom it's an article of faith that a lil' ol' DV camera will perform flawlessly day in and out. I suspect they're the same people who think their hard drives will never go south.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]