FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98p via IO HD capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Powerass
23.98p via IO HD capture
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:57:32 pm

I'm capturing a project today that was shot at 23.98p on a Sony F900. I'm using a Sony JH-3 deck through an IO HD into FCP. The idea is to work in Prores 422.
I talked to an AJA tech yesterday who said I don't want to capture at 23.98p, but rather 29.97 1080i. Does that make any sense? Why would I change the frame rate AND go from progessive to interlaced?
Furthermore, is this a situation for Prores HQ? I've read a lot of the debate here regarding standard vs. HQ. This project may be headed for a big screen and it would be great to not have to re-digitize later.

I'm not even at the studio yet and I know the situation will evolve further, but I'm looking for some early advice. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: 23.98p via IO HD capture
on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:12:21 pm

The AJA tech is correct. 24p recordings on an HDCAM are really 29.97 with a pulldown added. They aren't really true 24fps, rather 24 individual frames spread out over 29.97fps.

Workflow should be somewhat determined by what the delivery is to be, and how long the program is, etc... what is the delivery? Broadcast or a DVD or?

So if you're delivery is back to HDCAM, which is again that same recording (24fps with a pulldown to make the video 29.97) there's little reason to remove the pulldown used... maybe smaller files, if that's an issue.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:21:56 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "24p recordings on an HDCAM are really 29.97 with a pulldown added."

Where did you hear that one? 24p on HDCAM is 23.976 segmented frame. 29.97 doesn't play into it at all. Images are stored on tape as two identical interlaced fields (segmented frame) but play back as progressive - this is how all (edit)23.976sf(edit) tape formats work.

As far as capturing, I see no reason not to capture to a 24p project. Stay in 24p throughout - no worries about interlacing or frame rate conversions as far as I know.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:37:56 pm

AH, you're right its psf... I was confused by my own experience with HDCAM and that same machine. I didn't shoot 24fps. I need more coffee this AM.

I would assume the IO can do this...i.e., marry the segmented frames. Might not be able to, so that's why the AJA tech suggested 29.97...?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 13, 2010 at 12:24:47 pm

[Kenny Powerass] "I'm capturing a project today that was shot at 23.98p on a Sony F900. I'm using a Sony JH-3 deck through an IO HD into FCP. The idea is to work in Prores 422."

Kenny

The F900 indeed shoots at 1080 23.98sf, The Sony camera format is ALWAYS PsF in post.

Choose the AJa IoHD 1080 23.98sf Apple ProRes 422 setting. However your JH3 Player may need to be setup to allow for 23.98 output.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Kenny Powerass
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:26:03 am

Thanks. The JH-3 did need to be setup to put out 23.98. The IO HD didn't recognize it as such, though the AJA tech I had on the phone said it would. I did a lot of tweaks and restarts, but the IO HD was sure it was reading 29.97 off the tape. Then for no reason that I could discern it suddenly recognized 23.98psf.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]