FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering from Sony Vegas Platinum for Import into Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Nguyen
Rendering from Sony Vegas Platinum for Import into Final Cut Pro
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:10:34 pm

This is my first time posting, so first off thanks everyone generally for all the recommendations and tips on these boards. I've been learning editing on my own, and this has been an invaluable resource!

I had a question regarding moving projects from Sony Vegas Platinum into Final Cut Pro. I've recently made the switch, but there's a project that I had created in Vegas that I would like to retouch/finish in Final Cut Pro and the other FCS apps (e.g. clean up audio, grading, titles, etc.). Plus, of course, I'd like to get more familiar with FCS and work with it as much as possible.

From reviewing other posts, it seems like transferring a Vegas timeline and media into a Final Cut Pro project can be somewhat difficult or time consuming, and I don't plan on changing any of the actual cuts within the video.

Would it be possible to render the Vegas video into lossless JPEG2000, use Compressor to transcode that into ProRes 422 and then import it into FCP without a loss in image quality? (While I have the Platinum edition, I may use Vegas Pro trial to render the JPEG 2000 file).

I've included the project details below- any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rob Nguyen
http://www.nojacketrequired.info

--
Project Details

Recorded on: Canon HF200 (AVCHD). 1920 x 1080 (24 Mbps)

Originally Edited on: Sony Vegas Platinum

Intended Distribution/Exhibition:
This was originally intended for web distribution. We've changed direction on this and will be preparing DVDs for submission to festivals as a short film. The current project doesn't need to be the final version for exhibition, but this would be ideal so as not to have to rework things twice.

Timeframe: looking to finish DVD for submission by early week of March 15th

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rendering from Sony Vegas Platinum for Import into Final Cut Pro
on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:48:52 pm

There will be some quality loss. You will be converting the footage twice. How much is the question. I don't know the answer, other than quality loss will occur.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Nguyen
Re: Rendering from Sony Vegas Platinum for Import into Final Cut Pro
on Mar 14, 2010 at 3:32:06 am

Thanks for the response Shane! Yes, I guess that just makes sense in terms of converting it twice. I'm going to see if I can pull out the EDL and determine how much time it will take to bring the media over, match it to the EDL and put the sequence back together in FCP. I have a feeling I may just wind up finishing in Vegas for now, and perhaps circling back to this for a future submission.

Best regards,

Rob Nguyen
http://www.nojacketrequired.info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]