FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Final Cut Pro Workstations and a NAS Storage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klaas Byl
2 Final Cut Pro Workstations and a NAS Storage
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:21:57 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to get access to my captured digital betacam material(ProRes 422) on two Mac Pro(Octo, 6gb Ram, FCS3, Snow Leopard) Final Cut Pro workstations. I already have a QNAP NAS(TS409U) with 4TB of Storage which i would like to use. is it possible to connect the mac pros via their gigabit ports(one for the access via switch to the NAS, one for my Internet) and a gigabit switch?
I would ste it up like this:
Mac Pros - via LAN to Switch
Switch via LAN to NAS

Does it work? do i need to setup apple xserve? Is it possible to acess the same project on both workstations at the same time?
we'd like to use the Macs as Encoding Workstations for DVDs. They have to export timelines to DVD conform MPEG2.

Thanks for your help.
best regards from munich,
Klaas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 2 Final Cut Pro Workstations and a NAS Storage
on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:09:50 pm

[Klaas Byl] "I already have a QNAP NAS(TS409U) with 4TB of Storage which i would like to use. is it possible to connect the mac pros via their gigabit ports(one for the access via switch to the NAS, one for my Internet) and a gigabit switch?"

With any sort of reliability that high end video needs? I doubt it. That is designed for DATA, not VIDEO. For video you need storage designed for video. And if you had more than one machine, you might have had to get a server along with it, and routers, and all that. But since you are only on two machines, just get a good external storage solution (MaxxDigital, CalDigit, G-Tech) and then attach it to one machine, then share that drive via GigE to the other machine. I have had success with that.

[Klaas Byl] "Is it possible to acess the same project on both workstations at the same time? "

No. This is an Avid feature, not FCP. You need to work on separate sequences, but can send each other XMLs of your sequences, or put them in a separate project that they can then open. There's a whole workflow for FCP and multiple editors needed to use the same media/sequence. I have a tutorial DVD that goes into the basics of this. Click on my head up above to see it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:42:30 pm

I use Thecus NAS units for audio post across two Fairlight systems and they work a charm as they have dual gigbit ethernet connectors plus I am running 10,000 rpm drives for ultra fast seek times. However, I would not consider that approach for networked video and audio demands.

I know Bob Zelin has done networked setups for multiple FCP suites so search for some of his posts on the matter.

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:02:35 pm

Hi,

thanks for your help.
we just use our Workstations for encoding DVD files. we digitize digital betacam via aja kona card and i would like to be able to get access to those files on both workstations just for dropping them into a timeline and putting a watermark on it inside of final cut. so you think this won't work via gigabit ethernet?
We just ordered a second mac because its not possible to work on in final cut during a timeline export via compressor. I know the newest final cut studio has got background rendering also for exports. is this right? so i can still work in my timeline during a compressor export for a dvd mpeg file?
with our new workstation we're going to upgrade our existing FCS to FCS3.
BTW, i'm talking about feature films with around 90min runtime.(digitized as ProRes422)
All the SAN storage i found would be up to 5-7K$. Do i need to spend so many bucks just for my f***ing exports? ;)

Thanks for your great help.
Best regards from Munich,
Klaas

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:19:04 am

If you send a quicktime to a NAS so that you can access it to do encoding, that is fine. You are just using the NAS for data storage and that works fine.

The problems with NAS storage happen if you want to play HD files simultaneously on two different Final Cut setups.

Compressor has always been able to do background encoding if you first export a self contained quicktime of your timeline using current settings. Although FCS3 says it can do that from an FCP timeline, I don't advise doing it that way.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Mar 20, 2010 at 11:21:11 am

For sharing projects and data you could also look at Final Cut Server. This is also a great asset management tool.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Mar 20, 2010 at 6:30:46 pm

Does Final Cut Server also work with my simple QNAP NAS?

whats about different projects on the same NAS HDD and accessing them via different workstations and exporting the timeline onto an internal harddrive?

best regards,
Klaas

Return to posts index

Niek Deiman
on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49:29 am

Hi,

its kind of a far stretch, but here I am actually trying to reach Shane Ross, (couldnt find a private message option) in the post above you mention a DVD that goes in to the basics of multiple editors in FCP and the workflow.

Is this available anywhere, or could I find anything online?
I am currently experiencing pretty much the same problems and the more I read, the more complicated it seems to become.

I hope you can help!

Kind regards,
Niek

Ps. Ive been a frequent COW visitor for years, but havent registered untill now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]