FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help removing a through edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herz
Help removing a through edit
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:36:58 pm

I am working on a project with many video tracks in FCP 7. The render time is killing me and I need to make a slight adjustment to a couple of graphic elements in order to fade up from black. In order to do this, I have to re-render all elements which is taking far too long. So...my workaround is to use the razor blade tool to cut the clip 10 frames in so I only have to render that small section. I have done this in the past and it has created problems having one small clip that sometimes, inadvertently, gets left behind when copy and pasting, etc. So...I want to render and then "undo" the edit. When I try to undo the edit, it won't allow me to do it. The "join though edit" option is "grayed out" and I am unable to select it. Does anyone know why I can't access this function?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Help removing a through edit
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:42:36 pm

As soon as you do the join through it will need to re render I suspect, so what have you gained?

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:01:06 pm

Hmmm bummer...I was hoping that was not the case. any other ideas??

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:10:45 pm

You don't have to render a whole slab if you are just checking the transition in. Hit render and when it gets to about 10% hit ESC and stop the render. It will then play the transition until it gets to where you stopped rendering.

You can keep doing that until you are happy with the fade up and then render the whole lot once. Unfortunately that trick doesn't work with outgoing transitions.

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:15:23 pm

Thanks...that's helpful. I also just found out that if you simply add a dissolve to fade in or fade out, instead of key framing, you only have to render the dissolve.
Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Brian Rock
on Mar 12, 2010 at 2:02:55 pm

... or to preview what you changed, you can hit option P to play all frames (not at full frame rate)

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:36:23 pm

Michael, maybe you already know this, but you can also mark an 'in and out' in the timeline, deselect all, then hit 'command-r' to render just that section. You may need to change what is checked off in the "sequence>render selection" pulldown menu to force the render though.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:46:12 pm

Thanks Matt, handy tip. I mostly grade and online so I need to render mostly credits and supers which I prefer to wait and completely render so I can watch the whole roll with client so I only have a rare occasion to partial render but that is a good way to fiddle with out transitions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]