FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT-Alternatives to Pelican cases

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
OT-Alternatives to Pelican cases
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:38:45 pm

I have a portable edit system that I am looking for a good sized, wheeled, case to cart it around in. Pelican cases are awesome but really heavy. Is there any alternative that are just as good at protecting the gear but not so heavy?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: OT-Alternatives to Pelican cases
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:18:29 pm

[Scott Davis] "I have a portable edit system that I am looking for a good sized, wheeled, case to cart it around in. Pelican cases are awesome but really heavy. Is there any alternative that are just as good at protecting the gear but not so heavy?
"

Do you want it to last?
Then buy the very best cases you can afford, the better the case the less damage the gear will receive.

My racks all get custom cases that are heavier than pelicans. I carry the small stuff in pelican's.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:21:51 pm

No my gear is important and I wont compromise on quality or protection. I'm hauling it around on subways in NY so I was hoping for something that protected as well as a Pelican, but lighter in weight for when I am hauling it up and down all those stairs.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:34:02 pm

[Scott Davis] "but lighter in weight for when I am hauling it up and down all those stairs"

I would use a magliner© and scope out all the handicapped access, as that is where the elevators will be. It may take a little more time, but considerably less of your back.

Pack the cases tighter if you are the only one to handle it, I routinely remove all but the top and bottom foam padding then pack my gear in smaller boxes or padded wraps and fill the case. This method allows me more gear in a case that I know will get treated carefully under my supervision.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:40:53 pm

Hi Scott. I use aluminium constructed cases in the UK with custom fitted inserts. Although Peli cases may appear to provide great protection, they actually tend to transfer shocks into vibration inside the cases, which may damage computer equipment, especially over time. Rigid cases with tight fitting compartments allow for little vibration and movement, passing shock straight through the case in effect, and reducing damage. This, as well as better wear and tear, is the reason that hire companies use aluminium rigid cases for most equipment.

I regularly ship Mac Pro systems as air freight to and from the US, and have never had any equipment damage. The only issue? This is not the lightest solution. But it is the safest.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:56:35 pm

[Scott Davis] "Pelican cases are awesome but really heavy. Is there any alternative that are just as good at protecting the gear but not so heavy?"

No. Pelican ARE the alternative to the heavy Anvil type cases. If you want your equipment to survive and last, they are the ones to go with.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:16:31 am

You don't need to fly with these cases?

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:45:03 am

http://www.hardigg.com/HardiggProfessionalSolutions.htm

Hardigg Cases are excellent. I travel with them all the time, never a problem.

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
"Voices of Freedom", Special Jury winner for Fall 2008 CINE Awards produced for the High Museum of Art in Atlanta as part of a major exhibition of vintage Civil Rights Movement photographs, "Road To Freedom". Currently on display at The Field Musuem in Chicago followed by The Skirball Cultural Center in LA in the fall and The Bronx Museum, spring 2010.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]