FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-Interlace Multiple Codecs Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mauro Moreira
De-Interlace Multiple Codecs Sequence
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:39:37 pm

hello people,

I have a big (1h30m) seguence that came back from Color to fcp, but when i send it to Color, i had two tipe of footages in it: HDV1080 60i and Dv 4:3, so i ended up with two types of Field.
Now, when i export a quicktime, the footage seem Interlaced in the HDV parts (i have just a few parts in DV).
So i need a way to export a progressive mov, thinking first in the HDVs footages.
Ive tried to use the "Export using Quicktime Conversion", ProRess422 HQ and De-interlacing, but the final mov had the same interlaced problem, and with some quality loss.

Tks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: De-Interlace Multiple Codecs Sequence
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:00:00 pm

Why do you need a De-interlaced mov? There are reasons to do that but to fix an interlace problem is not one of them. De-interlacing will always reduce the quality of the image, there is methods and software that greatly reduce the reduction but you have to throw a lot of pixels away and then blend what remains. So back to the question of why? What is your end delivery?

First what is the sequence setting in FCP? What is the export settings of Color. (if you have just a few DV parts why not color correct them separately?

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:13:32 pm

Michael, first of all, thanks for the reply.

The movie just entered a competition, so i need to put the .mov in a delivery tape (betacam or similar).
Before that, all copies were DVDs, so i didnt have thsi problem.

The atual sequence in FCP is ProRess 422 HQ 1920x1080 Upper Field, thats the same setting of the movs that came from Color.

The color grading is already done by a third part (i have the projects and renders, but i did not do it), and thats the material i`ve got to work.

I was thinking, is it a good thing to do a de-interlace on all Color renders inside color(re-render in Color)?

Tks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:35:27 pm

[Mauro Moreira] "is it a good thing to do a de-interlace on all Color renders inside color(re-render in Color)? "

Deinterlacing is not a magic bullet that provides an instant cure for the issues created by an improper mix of interlaced and progressive material during the editorial process. The only real cure entails a methodical re-edit of the the entire project, with meticulous certainty that every clip in the piece has both matching framerates and fields.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:07:28 pm

Okay from what you have listed here there is no reason to de-interlace, and there is every reason to NOT do it. You need to fix the problem not mask it.

What where the render out of color files rendered as? Do you have them in clips or is it a solid movie.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:23:42 pm

yeah it sounds like improper interlace interpretation.

probably need to get to the source to fix that.

I've seen where that sort of thing can get baked into a movie
and be un-fixable.

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:25:12 pm

David, I know i have to do a better and planned re-edit, but in the actual circustance, i just don`t have this option.

Michael, do you think i dont have do de-interlace before going to tape(it wont have problems in the projection?) If , yes, this is very good news.
About the movs from color, i have them all SPLITED in the Renders folder inside Color Documents, and i have the projetcts too.
I ve tested the clips inside those folders, and they are all interlaced (HDVs).

Tks again.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:46:50 pm

[Mauro Moreira] "Michael, do you think i dont have do de-interlace before going to tape(it wont have problems in the projection?) If , yes, this is very good news."

Wha? If you are going to betacam or "similar" then it has to be either NTSC or PAL, both of which are interlaced....

Joey

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:53:11 pm

All the HDV footage is correctly upper field. You need to put the shift fields filter on the DV footage.

Color will output the original fields so you DV footage is incorrect. YOur 1080 sequence should be upper and so only put a shift fields filter on the DV material.

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:03:41 pm

NTSC, thats for sure, i think i will make some tests without any change, and try to put the a shift fileds filter in the Dv footages.

Tks all,
this is kind of a class to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]