FORUMS: list search recent posts

error exporting 24pA video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hawes
error exporting 24pA video
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:25:40 pm

Here is an unusual problem that I wonder if anyone has come across.
I have a completed 23.98 DV sequence with clips from a Panasonic DVX100 camera. Final Cut successfully removed the advanced pulldown on import and editing went smoothly with no dropped frames despite many rapid cuts on the sequence.
There are no effects applied to the clips, so no render files.
When I export, either with "Export Quicktime Movie", "Send to Compressor", or "Export Using Quicktime Conversion", the editing changes. Some clips change and display a different in and out point.
I successfully exported to a DV deck and reimported but then I lose my 23.98 fps.

Any ideas? I'm lost on this one. Corrupted media?
And I have trashed the preferences.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: error exporting 24pA video
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:46:23 pm

[Phil Hawes] "I successfully exported to a DV deck and reimported but then I lose my 23.98 fps. "

Not sure about the clips changing when you export...that is odd. But this, you cannot output to tape at 23.98. Tape doesn't run at 23.98...only 29.97. So when you output to tape, you are adding pulldown back to get to 29.97. But there are no Advanced Pulldown flags added to that output, so you cannot recapture to 23.98 properly from that tape.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Hawes
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:53:09 pm

Yes, the pulldown was added when I printed to tape and I can't remove it on recapture because it is not flagged. This is why this is not really a good solution for me: I end up with a 29.97 Quicktime and trying to remove this pulldown with Cinema tools is not a good solution either.

The real question is why ,on export, Quicktime is not properly referencing the Final Cut sequence? My exports do not match my sequence, the edits have changed.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:04:31 pm

[Phil Hawes] "he real question is why ,on export, Quicktime is not properly referencing the Final Cut sequence?"

I wish I had an answer for you, but I haven't had this issue so I haven't had to solve it. I think I recall seeing this pop up here before, but I can't find posts relating to that issue to find the solution.

Perhaps trash your preferences?

#44: FCP acting weird - Trash Prefs

Shane's Stock Answer #44: FCP acting weird or unusual. Just not like is normally should

If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) Shut down for 10 min. Go for a quick walk around the block and get SOME exercise today. Come back, turn on the computer and see how things are.

4) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

Shane

Return to posts index

Phil Hawes
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:24:23 pm

Yes, I've tried trashing the preferences.
Sometimes I wonder if Final Cut would work better if if did not use Quicktime or if Quicktime stored the metadata in a separate file from the video clip.

Phil

Return to posts index

Phil Hawes
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:37:37 pm

I've had render file problems that were similar to this.
Once the effect is rendered you see a different in and out point.
For that issue I would export out the clip as a stand-alone Quicktime, reimport, replace and then render.
But I have never had a similar problem on export.
Sometimes I wonder if Quicktime would work better if the metadata was contained in a separate file.
I'm using Final Cut 7, Studio 3, by the way.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:53:52 pm

THis isn't normal behavior. If so, you'd see a LOT of people complaining about it. It is rare, but I have seen it. I shoot and edit 24pA footage, and I have never had this issue. So have many many others. So this is a problem that needs to be solved. If trashing prefs didn't work, perhaps uninstalling FCS (use FCS remover from http://www.digitalrebellion.com) and then reinstalling might help. If not, then a system drive reformat and reinstall of applications might be in order. Might be best to get a NEW drive and install fresh on that so that your old system is there if you need it.

Shane

Return to posts index

Phil Hawes
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:46:28 pm

I'm not sure if I have to go that far.
On closer inspection I notice that the problem is the inverse of what I had previously thought.
The clip is correct after exporting but incorrect when it plays on the sequence. When playing the sequence I see something different than when I advance frame by frame.
Advancing frame by frame gives me the correct image, playback is incorrect. I know this by verifying the original media in Quicktime Player.
Just for fun, I exported an EDL from the problematic sequence and reimported it for reconnect media.
I got the same result.
However when I was exporting the EDL I had an error message saying that some of these clips are missing timecode. Could be a timecode problem with some of the clips when they were captured? I will try to see where the error occurs throughout the sequence and which clips are affected, then try to recapture them from the tape.
Honestly, if I did a reinstall everytime I had something going wrong with Final Cut I would spend my whole life reformatting and installing, but I appreciate you taking the problem seriously.

I have worked with 24pA media before without a problems.

Phil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:13:01 pm

[Phil Hawes] "I have a completed 23.98 DV sequence with clips from a Panasonic DVX100 camera. Final Cut successfully removed the advanced pulldown on import and editing went smoothly with no dropped frames despite many rapid cuts on the sequence. "

If you captured an entire tape, the pulldown may not have been successfully removed. If there's any kind of disturbance in time code, pulldown flags, etc. FCP instantly reverts to capturing the footage at 29.97.

Anything could screw it up: reviewing the shot in the viewfinder, removing and reinserting the tape, changing the battery... you name it.
So if you haven't done so already, you might want to double-check the frame rate of your footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Banyai
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:54:06 pm

Did you figure this out? I have a similar weirdness. I am exporting quicktimes shot on HDV. 24p. As soon as I choose the "using quicktime conversion" option, you can see the video frames shifting in the Canvas, even before the export window comes up. When it does, no matter what settings I choose, the video exports with different in/out marks and jumps and skips frames here and there. If I export a full quicktime movie, however, not using "conversion" but just a full-framed quicktime, it works fine.

This is a multiclip sequence, so I tried collapsing all the multiclips AND rendering all effects before export. Same thing. Any ideas? I didn't capture the video myself- it was sent to me via hard drive so I don't know the camera specs.

Return to posts index

Phil Hawes
on Apr 21, 2010 at 6:19:15 pm

Sorry to say that I did not figure out the problem.
I went around it and moved on. I finished the project at 29.97 fps and forgot about 24p. You problem is slightly different but it seems, like my problem, to originate in the pulldown removal from tape.
As Dave said earlier in this thread: the pulldown removal from tape does not always go smoothly.

As an aside though, I never use "export using quicktime conversion". There are too many bugs in that method, sending to Compressor is much better. I had problems with aspect ratios being misinterpreted when I tried to use "quicktime conversion" so now I just avoid it. "Export quicktime movie" (using current settings) works fine, though.

The other issue I had recently with quicktime was that it shifts the gamma on certain codecs but not consistently. Some codecs have the gamma raised and others are lowered. That is another thread which, unfortunately, I don't have time to start right now.

I have so many expectations for the next version of Final Cut that I can't fail to be disappointed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]