FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio levels

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Sawicki
audio levels
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:52:00 pm

What is the fastest way to "even out" audio levels in FCP, ie, to make the entire audio "clip" even at -12 dB, or is this even possible without going through the audio clip and manually adjusting the levels? Thanks for the help, this could save me a lot of time.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: audio levels
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:28:12 pm

you could try:

Modify > Audio > Apply Normalization Gain. This will adjust the audio of your clip so that the loudest part does not exceed the value you set

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:41:58 pm

I would export the audio into Soundtrack Pro and add a Limiter filter. It's a little more work, but you get much better results than you do in Final Cut.

Brian

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:02:05 pm

All you are doing is setting the maximum peak to a fixed setting. That isn't going to make for a mix or balance. Peak levels do not equate to apparent loudness.

Just like grading is a shot by shot interpretation using scopes, audio is also an interpretive art using meters to help and also to check for tech acceptance.

EQ & Dynamics control via compressor/ limiters are how to get both a balance and be within tech acceptance. It is just as much an art as grading or editing so either pass it on to a pro or spend the time to make it right. After all sound is much more than 50% of your final work so either take it seriously or get out of the way and let a sound post pro take over.

Ironically it is the cheapest way to add value to your production and the skill that many editors seem to lack. Ignorance about sound is a constant amazement to me.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:22:54 am

"...sound is much more than 50% of your final work so either take it seriously or get out of the way and let a sound post pro take over.

Ironically it is the cheapest way to add value to your production and the skill that many editors seem to lack. Ignorance about sound is a constant amazement to me. "

Hallelujah, Amen and Praise be!!
truer words are rarely written.
Take heed, for the wise hath bestowed the gift of knowledge upon thee.
Use it well.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]