FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Log and Capture" menu item missing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Rossello
"Log and Capture" menu item missing
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:09:37 pm

Hi,

I have a strange mystery - I've completely lost the Log and Capture option in my File menu.

I have been capturing and editing on this system (FCP 6.0.6) for several months now (heavily) and today I sat down to do a last minute (client pressured, of course) capture of about 10 minutes of footage, hit command+8 and nothing happened. I went to the File menu and the Log and Capture item is simply no longer there.

I did upgrade to a new RAID array and do some drive cleanup recently - is it possible that I corrupted a preference file somewhere?

I can't find anything anywhere online about this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: "Log and Capture" menu item missing
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:35:44 pm

What kind of drive clean up did you do? Have you tried trashing your prefs again?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Anthony Rossello
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:07:37 pm

Clean up entailed consolidating drives, which is why I'm not clear on what I could have affected. I thought I was being pretty careful around the OS and apps drive.

I did trash the com.apple.FinalCutPro.prefs file before posting and it didn't help.

Is there any way to figure out why that menu entry would disappear?

I'm guessing a reinstall is in order but I'd really like to know what happened.

T

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:47:59 pm

I'm really not sure what's going on there, Tony. It is definitely very odd.

A renistall should fix it.

Return to posts index

Paul Hawke-Williams
on Mar 9, 2010 at 5:24:28 pm

Is your new RAID a firewire? I had a similar problem when I changed one of my FW drives. It had somehow stopped me suing the other FW port for capturing, once I unplugged the FW drive I could capture again with no problems.
I suspect a FW problem with my hard drive, I ended up getting a refund, buying an alternative drive and all was fine but I can't unfortunately remember what the model is of the one I took back - sorry!
Try restarting the machine without the new drive if it is a RAID and see if your log and capture menu comes back.
Hope this helps in some way
Paul

Paul Hawke-Williams
http://www.macguruwales.co.uk
Media Trainer - Mac Support - Video Production

Return to posts index

Anthony Rossello
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:36:34 pm

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the response. I'm finally back in the office after weeks of travel and, of course, in need of capturing. :) The RAID array isn't connected via Firewire, it's eSATA. But, maybe the combination of the new striped RAID array and the FW connection from the camera is a similar situation?

I'll have to do some testing to see what's going on.

Thanks again,

Tony

Return to posts index

Anthony Rossello
on May 10, 2010 at 6:38:26 pm

Hi,

Just wrapping this up in case anyone comes across the thread w/ the same problem.

Good news is a re-install fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why the problem occurred in the first place.

T

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]