FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Audio Madness

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Kulzer
FCP7 Audio Madness
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:27:49 pm

OK COW, this one's a doozy. Working in a 29.97 SD sequence, with some P2, some XDCAM (ProResLT QTs), DVCPro50, et al, and audio's going absolutely haywire in the 1/2 hour show. Specifically: linked selections. When I stereo pair the audio for a particular clip, and then come back to it, say, a day later in the edit: • somehow, when that clip & audio are selected, OTHER audio is also selected as being linked--- sometimes one of 2 audio tracks (themselves an unrelated stereo pair), or just an audio transition on a kooky audio track, --- EVEN TONE from bars and tone is sometimes selected as being part of the selected clip, preventing the clip from being moved ("clip collision on xx track"). Sometimes the "Stereo Pair" "double meeting arrows" symbol is halved! So it's just 2 downward facing arrows! ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP7 Audio Madness
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:11:42 pm

Quit FCP, Trash your preference and trash your audio render files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:48:14 pm

Prefs have been trashed several times; the cache folder and plist removed and trash emptied & comp. restart each time. We even booted in Safe Mode and Verified/Repaired all HDs; and later used FCS Remover & remove the entire FinalCut Suite and did a fresh install. Still, Stereo Linking on A1&2 of any given clip sometimes results in some OTHER audio clip's layer elsewhere in the timeline being linked up to the pair.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:31:05 pm

Did you trash the audio render files?
Was the audio captured from tape?

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:44:57 pm

Renders were trashed; Audio was captured intrinsic to the video clips--- Here's an example: clips A, B, C, and D are laying consecutively in the timeline. Somebody said something naughty in clip A, so "tone" from bars and tone, is inlaid in within the cut of clip A's audio to bleep out the cursing. The four clips have 4 tracks of audio from the camera laying on tracks A 1-4, 1 and 2 being separate mikes, 3 and 4 being garbage mikes. All four clips' audio tracks were pain-stakingly stereo paired by the process of: duplicating audio track one (lav mike) onto/over audio track 2 (boom mike), A1 panned to -1, its dupe on A2 panned to +1, Stereo pair the A1&2. Now, this is a half hour show, so it's more complicated, but you get the picture. This recurrent glitch results in a couple different things: let's say I Quadruple-T to "select all forward" at the Clip C mark, intending to JUST move clips C & D. Somehow, Track 2 of Clip A (half of it's Stereo paired audio on 1 & 2)--- far previous in the timeline--- ---OR------ the 3 frame audio cross-fade from A's tail to B's head is somehow selected as well. And the graphic icon on the audio tracks of Clip C denoting that it's a Stereo Pair (dual-facing triangles) is messed up so that only one of the halves of the icon is present on its tracks. I cannot move Clip C & D, because of the errantly selected audio that for some godforsaken reason FCP believes to be Stereo Paired to Clip A (when C&D are selected, that errant clip or transition gets selected, too; and all attempts to move result in "conflict on track x; cannot move"). Trashing prefs and renders did not solve it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:06:04 am

Thanks for this. Sometimes, when you link clips together or cut a clip separately from it's audio, the video is linked to the audio down the timeline. You would then have to unlink (shift-l) then select the audio directly below it and relink ( shift-l). If you didn't unlink first, you might have some odd combinations.

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:31:33 am

Oh, certainly--- but why in heck would the audio tracks from a completely separate clip get linked to it, e.g. only one track, track 2 of "tone" from bars and tone suddenly linking to a clip of video 30 seconds later in the timeline? The Linked Selection (shift-L) I keep off, and typically just use Option when I need to link them... but this craziness where FCP associates completely separate clips' audio to a different clip, and messes up Stereo-Pairing--- is throwing our post-production way out of whack. I'm tempted to just let the mixer deal with it, but we need to get tapes of the Roughs and Fines out to the EPs at the station for review, and can't expect them to just "look past" all of a sudden audio just blaring out of only the left or right speaker, intermittently. FCP is undoing the Stereo-Pairing at random--- even on imported music tracks that ARE ONLY stereo-paired L/R.

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:57:08 am

It has now one-upped itself; just "drew in" audio waveform in all the empty-track spaces for about 5 minutes of the show (that which would be slug if it had content, in between about a hundred edits). This "new phantom audio" is un-selectable, disappearing if you try to select the space, only to re-appear if you de-select. Then it crashed FCP. I am positively loving this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:06:58 am

This sounds line a serious problem. You've trashed all your waveform caches I take it? What's your storage situation?

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:24:24 am

Storage? Over 400 GB each on 2 FW drives, & separately, 18GB of RAM; we're not running SATA or SAS, but FW 800's been doing us fine with all the XDCAM footage preparatorily saved out as ProRes LTs.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:23:00 am

Maybe you've already tried this, but what about doing the following:

-make a new sequence, with settings that match the problem sequence
-select all the clips in your problem timeline, then copy and paste them into your new timeline.

Sometimes I find a sequence gets corrupt and doing the above wipes the slate clean, so to speak. Might not help in your situation, but it's worked for me in the past when there seem to be gremlins creeping into the timeline.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:54:39 am

Yep; suspicion of corruption was first up to bat. Copied the seq into a new project & ported over only the relevent media piecemeal, leaving out the XDCAM footage, which SUPERFLUOUSLY slowed the project opening ("searching for data in movie file")... And for quite a while, copying into the new project solved a lot... til this new bit of audio houliganism.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 9, 2010 at 5:05:12 am

copying your sequence into a new project is not the same as copying the CONTENTS of your timeline into a new timeline. Try that and see if it makes a difference.

Also, do you know what clip(s) is causing the "searching for data in movie file"? Do you have quicktime files that contain references to other media?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 5:22:57 am

You're right; sorry, I was unclear. I made a new seq in the new project, copy / pasted the old Master seq's contents into the new project's new seq. And the new project's new seq worked perfectly for twelve out of today's 16 working hours---- then the audio glitch out of the blue.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:41:33 am

cool, thanks for the clarification. I have to say, I'm stumped though :-)

If this odd behavior happens in other projects, with different media, I'd say the problem is with your machine or install of FCP.

If the problem is confined to just this project, I'd say the issue is more likely something to do with some bad media (be it camera footage or render files or cache files).

Anyway, please let us know if you manage to solve it!
Thanks,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:38:08 pm

Did you try the FCS Maintenance Pack?

Free 15-day trial...

Return to posts index

Edward Kulzer
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:43:28 pm

I bought it for my home system, but the client (on whose system the problem propagated) couldn't spare the expense). We limped past the finish line by avoiding Stereo-Pairing altogether, program-wide.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]