FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using overlays and masks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Miller
Using overlays and masks
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:51:41 pm

Hi there, before I start I just wanted to say I have looked at previous threads before posting and have found some useful bits, but not exactly what I need to know.

Basically I'm editing something and need to stick a couple graphics on top - simples.

One example is a recording light. So I generated a circle, got it to the right size etc and now want to make the part that is not the circle (currently black) transparent. I've tried a bunch of different ways, but always end up with the red dot being translucent. I'm currently compositing as 'screen' with a black solid underneath it.

I've got a DOG from the client and in that case I just used a Extract filter, which I guess I could try with the solid, but I'm sure there must be a way to do it with compositing, that doesn't result in it being translucent.

With the shape solid, I didn't ask for the background, so I would have thought I just have to tell the clip to make the background transparent? Any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong would be most helpful.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Using overlays and masks
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:40:40 pm

Use the Video Filter> Key > Luminance Key.

"Key Out Darker"

Adjust to taste.

Return to posts index

James Miller
on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:19:45 am

Ahhh thank you very much! Works like a charm. Its a bit of a shame that when you generate a shape it fills in the background with a solid though. Would have thought there was an option to make it transparent. The key worked a treat though, cheers

Return to posts index

Brad Kopp
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:51:58 pm

I would use live type and save w/out rendering background.

Moto Guzzi rider
dog lover w/wife, Ex & 3 kids

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]