FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting recovered (rescued) files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Lewis
Reconnecting recovered (rescued) files
on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:44:39 am

Ok - half the contents of my capture scratch folder from the project I'm working on were accidently trashed recently. OMG! Due to the same hideous error, the back up of this folder wasn't made properly, and hence there are none - long story and not worth getting into here).

(if relevant the files are obviously quicktimes that came from log and transfering P2 files -yes I still have the original P2 files)

I used the wonderful "Data Rescue" software to recover the files from the the external HD they were trashed on. There are hundreds of clips taking up about 300GB.

So - found files (well 98% of them still intact) - great except......as they were trashed they no longer have their original names. Currently they are now just sequentially numbered (eg QT0001, QT0002 etc etc)

Now I'm in the middle of a project with them and have to reconnect. At this stage FCP presents me with the massive list of missing files, and all I can do is then scan through the recovered files one by one to see which one matches up - OH MY GOD PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS ONE BY ONE MANUALLY!!!

There must be another way - isn't there guys? Er...guys?......Guys..................

Help me Obe Wan Kenobe - you're my only hope.....

- trying to avoid at least 48hrs straight of doing this - any suggestions most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Reconnecting recovered (rescued) files
on Mar 7, 2010 at 2:44:42 pm

IF the file's names have changed there is no connection between them and FCP.

My thinking, go back to the P2 files and recapture them. That way this will be right for sure.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: connecting recovered (rescued) files
on Mar 7, 2010 at 3:33:27 pm

You made two very significant errors and you're now hoping there's a magic bullet that will save you? Sorry, but neither editng nor life works like that.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:18:11 pm

If it were me, I'd have started with recapturing the files. this is why it's important to keep the original card dumps from tapeless media.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:51:33 pm

Justin,
Truthfully a batch capture from P2 files should be fairly painless and semi-automatic.
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Justin Lewis
on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:08:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As has been pointed out, looks like the safest way is to recapture from the P2 files. Still so much work to rename them all correctly as they go in!

Fortunately the project is a documentary/travelogue format and so the bins were created around a linear time structure (day1 morning, day1 afternoon etc etc). At least I can easily match these up sequentially with the P2 folders and see which (most!!) of the offline files need recapturing - would have been much harder to find things if hadn't been organized in bins this way.

Still - a lot of grunt work for yours truly over next couple of days.

Incidentally, I'm still wondering how this first happened. Somehow during the L&T process, FCP had created 2 different capture scratch folders on the HD, with about half the project files going into each. I had been making backups of the capture scratch, and original P2 files to go on separate drives. Not realizing there were 2 different scratch folders - i only backed up the first one I saw. Later, when I saw the other one I made the fateful mistake of assuming another copy had been made and left on the drive, so trashed it to clean up and save space. The folder size was so similar I didn't consider it could be different!

Anyway my bad obviously, but my question is - why/how did FCP create another capture scratch folder during the L&T process?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:36:13 pm

I have never seen FCP do something like this by itself. I have done things without thinking, like the capture drive is not mounted and I quickly set it to another drive than it captures to that one instead. It will always make a folder in the capture scratch with the name of the project, but will not automatically switch to where the files go.

Return to posts index

Justin Lewis
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:08:44 am

Thanks Michael for the above, and again to all of you for feedback. Perhaps some of you cahn help me with the final hurdle?

OK - the situation isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm a bit confused with the exact process for reconnecting in this instance.

I have all the original P2 files on another drive - great. When I launch log and transfer and select any of the files I need - the metadata i created with them (scene names and notes etc - ie the same file names as what's missing) is all there - great.

Now, if I start transferring, the files appear in the browser as they usually do when you're starting from the beginning. But - they are obviously "duplicates" (in name only of course) to the files that are sitting in their bins but market in red as missing.

I can see I'm so close - but can't get my head around which way to do this? What is the process to re-transfer all the missing files back in, then re-connect them so they are recognized again. Do I bring them all in, then "trash" the red "missing file names, and fcp will recognize the new connected ones - or do something different? I stress again - the files coming in again are identically named.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]