FORUMS: list search recent posts

Letterboxing 1080???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mula
Letterboxing 1080???
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:03:50 am

Hi guys,
Is it possible to letterbox 1080 footage?
Have been asked to keep the quality in HD but need to provide a 4:3 version.
The guy asking for it hasn't a clue and I've never come across this. Is this even possible?
If so what dimensions? Or what other suggestions???
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Letterboxing 1080???
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:46:28 am

[Andrew Mula] "Have been asked to keep the quality in HD but need to provide a 4:3 version. "

For all practical purposes, there is no such thing as 4:3 HD, so I don't understand how you can do that.

[Andrew Mula] "The guy asking for it hasn't a clue"

You can most certainly letterbox HD downconverted to NTSC/PAL SD 4:3. Done all the time.

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:59:35 am

Hi Andrew

Well I can tell you that I have done it with 720p Shot on a JVC.

I did my edit in FCP, when I captured I captured as Pro REZ, I edited in Pro Rez. Then I exported as Pro Rez.

I then opened a std DV 48khz time line and copied the exported clip in.

FCP will warn you about the clip not matching your time line footage, and will wan to adjust the timeline to match the footage, when asked say NO.... and you should Have it... Well thats how I did it and it worked. It will have to render for a bit, but that should do

Return to posts index

Andrew Mula
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:08:25 am

Thanx for that.
Can I just copy my prores sequence (without first exporting it) into the DVPAL 4:3 timeline?

Regardless, what field dominance and pixel aspect should I be making the DVPAL sequence settings?
The Prores sequence had no field dominance (is progressive) and the pixel aspect ratio is square.
Thanks
Andrew

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:02:56 pm

Andrew

I have some success with 720p by copying the 422 timeline into the DV 48khz timeline. But the way I did it was to just copy the exported clip back into the 4:3.

I never set the field dominance at all. It just woked when I did it. I must that I have never tried it with 1080. Obviously the footage will not be HDV anymore when you copy it into 4:3, but it looks good.

Be very careful though as I did find that small logo's and text can become blocky when you scale down. Looks almost like it needs to be anti aliased .

So add you text after you exported and not before. When you do keys in 1080 with the aim of exporting it to 4:3 it becomes crazy as the safety frames are different. Thats why I exported and then added my keys and text in 4:3 DV. It stops it from looking chuncky & blocky and you can ensure that its in the safety.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:41:50 pm

Why not just keep your 1080 sequence and export it to whatever SD format you need with letterboxing or other "preserve aspect ratio" setting on? That'll give you your HD frame inside the 4:3 without fussing with your sequence presets and messing up your field dominance. Way quicker, way less chances of screwing something up. You won't have near HD quality, though, as was stated earlier.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]