FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Install lose Favorites

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
FCP 7 Install lose Favorites
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:11:21 pm

We have just installed FCS 3, and our "Favorites" folder in the Browser is EMPTY! Help. Anyway to
go back and copy out of Studio 2? We've got about 100 favorites stored over the past 18 months.
Thanks,

D's Video

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: FCP 7 Install lose Favorites
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:38:13 pm

This is normal, i am afraid.

The favorites are stored in your preferences. You get fresh new preferences when you install an upgrade.

Its always advised to make a backup of your drive before making a major upgrade.

You can avoid this in the future by putting your favorites into a project/bin and saving that.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:31:32 pm

Thanks John, we'll just live and learn for next time.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:51:35 am

Not that this can help you, but I just upgraded yesterday from FC 6 to 7 and all my favorites are there. By favorites, I'm assuming under the effects tab, the folder called favorites. I have about 10 favorites from color correcting, to filters, to transitions to audio effects. Also, my other favorites like keyboard preferences and column preferences.

I didn't do anything special. Just ran the install from the disk and 20 minutes later was using the new FC.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:41:48 am

If you have a capture card (AJA, Decklink) they always blow away the prefs when you install the drivers.

I usually re-install the drivers when I upgrade, so maybe thats how it happens.

The keyboard and bin layouts are not in the main prefs file, they are separate.

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:49:56 am

For the future---you can drag the favorites folder into the project with your clips and bins, if you do this as part of project back-up then the favorites used in the project are always available and you have a over-all back-up, just in case.
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:22:19 pm

[Trevor Ward] "Not that this can help you, but I just upgraded yesterday from FC 6 to 7 and all my favorites are there"

However, by following Trevor's advice and installing over the top of the previous version of FCS, otherwise known as a "dirty update," you might keep your Favorites folder, meanwhile you expose yourself to innumerable issues that are brought up here every single day by scores of people who have ignored the advice of the all of most knowledgeable people on this forum, who always advise a clean install.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]