FORUMS: list search recent posts

file paths dissapear when sharing sequences with another editor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
file paths dissapear when sharing sequences with another editor
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:38:09 pm

Hello,

I am in an office that is trying to share project files and sequences across two machines. Our method so far has been that we have identical media files on disc and that we manually search these drives to reconnect the media when exchanging sequences. This has seemingly worked so far, but today we ran into some trouble whereby the other editor opened up the latest sequences and all the media needed to be reconnected (as usual) but when trying to reconnect, no file path existed at all. Meaning he was unable to hit the search button for his drive for the media files. The only way to reconnect was to force connect clip by clip which is very, very inefficient.

Has anybody encountered this? Also it would help if people could tell ways of sharing projects across multiple work stations.

We are both using final cut studio 3.

thanks,
dan

Return to posts index

dan freshman
Re: file paths dissapear when sharing sequences with another editor
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:34:03 pm

Problem sort of solved..for any interested going through similar things:

The second editor copies the first editors project file and opens that project while having his project open at the same time. Originally, he would copy the sequences into his project (our 'master' project) and then reconnect the media in those sequences to his local drive which had the same media files as my drive. This did not work. It did not allow the reconnection to occur, as the file path to any files simply wasn't there. However, what did work was reconnecting the media files from my project file that he had open and then copying those sequences to our 'master' project.

I'm not sure why this reconnection only works from the original project file, but it does. If anyone has incite to this process, it would be interesting to know.

I am also interested in hearing advice in general about two editors working on the same project and the best workflows.

thanks again,
dan

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: file paths dissapear when sharing sequences with another editor
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:12:41 pm

Dan, have you tried giving both your drives the exact same names, and the exact same file structure? If done correctly, this should allow you to never have to reconnect media, because FCP will reference the exact same file paths on both systems.

Over the years, I've had similar problems to the ones you describe and I don't know if there is a magic bullet. Keeping projects small and clean seems to help. I also use very conservative naming conventions (no spaces, symbols, slashes, etc) ... but that isn't practical for everyone. Also, rather then exchanging "full sized" projects, have you considered making a new project with just the relevant sequences? Keeping things as simple as possible will limit the amount of things that could possibly trip up FCP.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]